Computed virtual column of computed actual column in sheet

I have a couple of manually computed columns in my Google sheet. Full Name and Address combining columns for first and last name & street, city, zip. When I regenerate the table, AppSheet adds 2 virtual columns _ComputedFullName and _ComputedAddress. Why exactly is it necessary for it to do this? Why canโ€™t it just use the manually computed columns (computed in Google Sheets) instead? Is it an efficiency thing or what? Iโ€™m just curious, because I apparently like to poke things that I didnโ€™t make.

0 6 301
6 REPLIES 6

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Youโ€™re welcome to remove the _ComputedfFullName and _ComputedAddress virtual columns. Theyโ€™re added merely as a convenience when AppSheet detects the apparent components. AppSheet does not look to see whether there already exists combined values.

Okay. But it doesnโ€™t prevent AppSheet from recreating the virtual columns again if I regenerate the table. So Iโ€™ll probably just ignore it.

You might test that. My recollection is AppSheet will only add those virtual columns the first time it discovers the components.

I have, multiple times. Every time I regenerate the table, the _computed virtual columns get added.

My understanding your table, upon loaded, there is no suitable column which stores unique value. So appsheet is wise enough to generate the computed id as virtual column

I already have a UNIQUEID() column in the table.

Top Labels in this Space