Conditionally do nothing; using IF with LINKTOFORM & LINKTOROW in App column

I have created an App column to conditionally link to a form or a row. Example:
IF([1 Key] <> "#", LINKTOROW([1 Key], "Lab Inspection_Detail"), LINKTOFORM("Lab Inspection_Form", "Lab", [Lab ID], "Lab Inspection Category", "2d8f09a7") )

In this case, when the [1 Key] column is #, I link to the form. When [1 Key] column is not #, I link to the a detail view of Lab Inspection_Detail.

However, there are some cases where I donโ€™t want to LINKTOROW and I donโ€™t want to LINKTOFORM. I just want it to do nothing.

Is there something I can use in these cases? Such as NULL or # or something?

0 5 294
5 REPLIES 5

Why dont you use IFS instead of IF?

Whether I use IF or IFS, Iโ€™m still unsure what to use in that function to do nothing in the right condition.

Iโ€™ve tried NULL, but that didnโ€™t work. I also tried opening the current view. But thatโ€™s horrible because it makes it seem like it failed to pull up the appropriate info. And the last thing I tried was adding a dummy LINKTO__, but that just made it go to a blank page.

Ideally, in the correct condition, it wouldnโ€™t even show the 3X_1_9_198b1d22cff92fb8fe4f38260534cfc23e72ae97.png icon.

I would use an Action instead of an App column. With that way you can enter in a behavior expression for when the Action is available, as well as your existing navigation expression.

Thanks, Marc_Dillon.
Iโ€™ll look into Actions more and see if I can figure this out using those.

In the meantime, I have a workaround, instead of โ€œdo nothingโ€, I am redirecting users to a โ€œthis entry is missingโ€ detail page.

Edit: This worked great, and was pretty straightforward once I started playing around with it! Thanks again!!!

I was able to use the action to conditionally show an icon when a record is present. That icon then links to the appropriate detail page.

Here is the result:
3X_1_4_143d17b66253031d25bd1e48fcbcaa46ba79bde0.png

The Action was set up as follows:

Where โ€œ2 Link to Inspectionโ€ is as follows:

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

For reference:

Top Labels in this Space