Connect to other data source or appsheet

reggieneo
Participant V

Hi All,
How can I extract data from other sheets being used by other apps and be able to show or use it in the current app view?

thanks

0 14 775
14 REPLIES 14

Lynn
Participant V

Hi @reggieneo
Just add it as a table in your new app .

reggieneo
Participant V

Hi Lynn,
I managed to connect the table and created 2 new columns with my existing table. but when i run the app i cannot see these 2 columns i added, even in all view.

i have tried creating a new slice to specifically show these 2 columns but also did not show.

i have also made the "show if " in UX option setting to be universal.

these two columns is intended to extract data where i have this formula :

โ€œANY(
SELECT(
Expenses Details[Cost],
AND(
([Expenses Item] = โ€œOverโ€),
([Date] = [_ThisRow].[Date]),
([Shift] = [_ThisRow].[Shift]),
([Over or Short Name] = [_ThisRow].[Name]))
)
)โ€

please assist:

thanks

I suspect your expression placed to app formula is not returning ANY values.

reggieneo
Participant V

hi tsuji,
if so, why even i placed โ€œ1โ€ as initial value, still did not show. isnโ€™t it supposed to show the initial value if the formula does not return any?

I believe your app formula supersedes the initial value. Just because of it.

reggieneo
Participant V

oh yes.
i temporary removed the formula and retain the initial value and sure it works/show.

i wonder what is wrong with my formula.

Yes, better to investigate your formula first.

My understanding is app formula and initial value can not live together. Sorry, no, they can live together, but App formula is always strong and overwrite the initial value.

Like in my family, my wife and daughter are far more stronger than meโ€ฆ

agree with who is stronger.

thanks

haha.

When you construct the expression, i suggest hit TEST button (you see highlighted in blue as text) to see what sort value your expression is going to return.

For sure, currently you will see nulll as a result by running your formula for a text.

Whenever we place the expression in app formula, regardless of they are physical or virtual column, Appsheet view (any type) will not be displayed IF the expression returns NO value (expression result in null). Once they are any value is down there, then it become visible. but the fields is sort of calculated field, we are not able to edit, even we turn on editableif expression being turned on.

Just to recap.

reggieneo
Participant V

Noted. thanks much.
I am now focusing on my formula on how to get values. this is the first time I did a cross docs extraction.

Good luck!

Just viewed your expression

โ€œANY(
SELECT(
Expenses Details[Cost],
AND(
([Expenses Item] = โ€œOverโ€),
([Date] = [_ThisRow].[Date]),
([Shift] = [_ThisRow].[Shift]),
([Over or Short Name] = [_ThisRow].[Name]))
)
)โ€

Any expression always return the first row of the set of rows.
I doubt the row which comes top as a result of your expression actually does not have any value in [Cost] field?

what s gonna happen if you change to Average expression instead of ANY?

Just a thought.

reggieneo
Participant V

Hi,
i have managed to get the formula to work though I havenโ€™t tried yet with much data. I thought since the criteria are many, and that the key column is a timestamp hence a duplicate is not going to happen. am I right to think that?

by the way, on the same app, how can I hide a column of โ€œEmployee Nameโ€ if the payment column is already yes ([paid]=YES).

I am trying to avoid duplicated payment so in my dropdown Name (ref type), I would like to hide the field if the name with paid salary is already paid.

this is
thanks

You can hope so, but thereโ€™s no guarantee.

Top Labels in this Space