CONTEXT("RecordID") Please 😁

As the complexity of apps grows, the need to know β€œwhat record the user is looking at” becomes a very important thing.

• But in order to get this information right now we have to build a whole system of columns/slices/actions/views to manage keeping track of this info.

Imagine the following scenario:

• You’re creating a system of check-list items that need to be completed each day

• Say you’ve created a β€œMaster_Checklist_Items” table - holding 1 record for each β€œthing” that needs to be recorded

• Now say you’ve got a β€œRemaining_Checklist_Items” column, that takes the master list and subtracts everything that has been completed already.
    3X_6_7_67d2e53296ba487252c80197880db3b209ebe288.png

• Let’s say all this lives inside a daily report, where each day every item needs to be completed - so that β€œRemaining_Items” list is a virtual column for the β€œDaily Report” parent table.

That remaining items VC will be a list from the β€œMaster_Checklist_Items” table - literally showing those records in a list.

Screenshots

3X_5_2_527e019c582ab0056296402221c62fa9d65384fa.png

• So if you were to click on one of them, you’d be directed to the detail view for that β€œMaster Item”

What I really want to happen is when you tap on the item, it launches you into a form to complete that item… for the report you’re looking at.

• But that β€œRemaining Item” list is actually from the context of the β€œBase Master Checklist Table” - and in no way connected to the specific record, and it’s details, that the user is currently looking at.
    • So even if I were to take over the Event Action for that inline table, and instead direct someone to a specific FORM - I have no way of β€œpushing” the record ID that the user is looking at into that form.
      • I can push the specific checklist item the user clicked on into the form - because the user clicked on that record - but I can’t get the parent reference.
        3X_1_2_127efcb9a4c14619e36b5984804d1282147a4e41.png

In order for me to get the specific record the user is looking at into the form, I have to create a setting system that allows the user to literally input what record they’re β€œworking on” - that the system can then call.

• This means I’m either using
    • UserSettings - which requires a sync after each change, making it slow the flow of work.
    • Current_User (slice) - which requires a bunch of overhead, not to mention a bunch of superfluous record changes (from users changing a setting from one thing to another, clearing it, changing it back, etc. etc. - hundreds of β€œextra” data changes that don’t need to be recorded/transferred).
    • Flag System - which again requires me to create a bunch of overhead: a system of temporary variables, actions, possibly slices, formatting rules, etc. all to point out and isolate the β€œcurrent record.”

If I could make use of context to pull the record ID from what the user is looking at, then I wouldn’t have to create a system to manage all this.

3X_f_3_f35bc0a80f78f45094fdb90758d6d6fae309440b.png

• This action would run from the context of the β€œBase Master Checklist” table, but with the CONTEXT() part it would pull the ID of the record the user is currently looking at (pulled from the top level view).

As always, thanks for considering!
3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

Status Open
8 9 349
9 Comments
Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

Was just going to come and make this request - low and behold, it's already here. πŸ™‚

Karimmc2
Silver 2
Silver 2

Yes please 

khiemtg
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Yes please, really waiting for it!

David_Philippe
Bronze 4
Bronze 4

This seams like a very straightforward and very useful implementation...
I d'ont really understund why it doesn't exist yet.

I'm very surprised we can't even get the url of the context page the user is on ... we could have extracted the row number... 

Why is the CONTEXT() function so limited ?

Has anyone found a solution to this issue ? 

generativegeorg
Silver 1
Silver 1

I've used a user selection variable that takes in the ID of the view when you first go to it.
Another work around might be... is there some way to parse information that is in the current URL?

David_Philippe
Bronze 4
Bronze 4

@generativegeorg  well is there a way to retreve the current URL ? 

I've tried to track the row ID on a user table, and for a simple app it could work but I have to many ways of navigation on my app and if a user would go to a previous page wihtout actualy clicking on a row it could lead to bugs.

Karimmc2
Silver 2
Silver 2

I’m still waiting for this feature, would be game changer for complex apps. 

Other workarounds can work but only under certain scenarios and they impact severely performance. 

We need a built in solution for this. 

khiemtg
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

waiting this one too