Convert an AppSheet App to use NoSQL Backend

Hi,

I have created an appsheet app for a client recently. Now that it has been successfully launched into production as a proprietary app, they would like to a version upgrade to a nosql backend. They are asking me for a time quote but I have no idea how long it would take.

Has anyone done this before or have any advice on how long it would take?

Much Thanks,
Jeff

0 3 574
3 REPLIES 3

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

AppSheet has no support for NoSQL.

Thanks for replying Steve. I found this response to another question. The response is from a member of the appsheet team:

โ€œโ€ฆ Currently, the only NoSQL database that we support is DynamoDB. If you can migrate your data to a SQL database, we do support MySQL, SQLServer, PostgreSQL, MariaDB, and Oracleโ€ฆโ€

Is it possible this is a recent introduction? Also, do you have any experience using RDBMSโ€™s for apps. And if so, do you have a feel for how long that process would take?

I assume the fields that are read from the google sheet to display info on the form would be rendering via the database schema, if the app is backed up to a RDBMS. Would you say thats accurate?

Perhaps. Iโ€™m not aware of anyone using it, but that doesnโ€™t mean it isnโ€™t being used. We have no documentation referencing โ€œnosqlโ€ on the help site, so I wouldnโ€™t recommend using NoSQL, myself.

Hereโ€™s what the help site has for DynamoDB:

3X_4_c_4c7bb6fa287439de45f7dc12723c7046f74e05f0.png

Looks to me that there is no value in using NoSQL (which is unstructured) with AppSheet (which is structured).

Not directly. Plenty of community members do, though. @MultiTech_Visions, for example.

What process? Configuring the database? Creating the schema? Developing an app atop the database?

Neither a spreadsheet nor a database play any role at all in rendering (the on-screen display of the data). If a spreadsheet is used as the data source (where the data is stored), a database is not used, and vice versa. A given table in the app can only have one data source, either a spreadsheet or a database,

Top Labels in this Space