Convert entered text to uppercase

Hello friends,
I would like to convert the entered text to uppercase, I have tried some forms without exception, please support

0 11 4,108
11 REPLIES 11

Welcome to the AppSheet community!

I do not think there is a way to silently force to uppercase at the point of entry in that single field.

There are some options however.

1. You could insert a Valid_If condition that checks if what was entered was uppercase and when not invalidate the entry with a message that uppercase is required.

2. You could add a second column that has an App Formula that forces uppercase using UPPER() function.

3. You could add an Action on Form Save that takes any columns you wish to be uppercase and applies the UPPER() function to them.

4. Similar to 3) you could use a Workflow that forces entered values into uppercase. This would be more after the point of entry.

Option 3) is probably the least impact to the user and the app - meaning you would see the uppercase result almost instantaneously after saving.

I tried to use the third option but it leaves the name with an empty string.
onFormSaved event the action is set a column for this row: name = UPPER([name])

I just tried this again on a little tester app I have and I am not seeing an issue.

Action to Force Column โ€œAโ€ to UpperCase

Action Attached to Formโ€™s Save Behavior

I hope this helps!!

Gracias a todos sus comentarios me fueron de gran ayuda, segui sus consejos de la siguiente manera:
1.- Cree la acciรณn llamada โ€œForzarMayusculasโ€

2.- Luego cree el workflow โ€œAplicarAccionForzarMayusculasโ€:
2X_a_a3dabc086cbf5245576bc7796cb7cebc30332882.png

3.- Revise mi origen de datos de Google Sheets y los datos ingresados efectivamente fueron convertidos a mayusculas.

Is that what you wanted - to have the columns shifted by a Workflow?

If your values are being added by a Form, you could also attach your Action โ€œForzarMayusculasโ€ to the โ€œForm Savedโ€ behavior in the Form.

The advantage is that this update is applied on the device side so you see it immediately in the display of the device but also it is sent to the server as a simple data update. This would be more efficient than triggering the Workflow. It is only a small difference.

Hello
Could you please show how you can use an expression to check if the entered text is in uppercase using Valid If?

You could insert a Valid_If condition that checks if what was entered was uppercase and when not invalidate the entry with a message that uppercase is required.

Try:

(FIND(UPPER([_THIS]), [_THIS]) = 1)

Hello Steve,

Worked perfectlyโ€ฆ thank you so much! I appreciate your help.

Rudyard

Even if you type the letters of the words you type in a text field in uppercase or lowercase, you should make it look like uppercase after typing. That means it should automatically convert to uppercase. How to do this?

Not possible.

if its just for display purposes you could use a format rule. This has the option to convert to uppercase.

2X_2_2ece4921c09ac8313e3021d4a82ff16d8a1a9f5f.png

Top Labels in this Space