Create 2 Tables using 1 Google Sheet

About 8 months ago i built an app that used 1 Google Sheets Sheet (tab) to supply data to 2 tables. The purpose was to allow different view configurations and rules. The first table is part 1 out of 2 processes and the second table is part 2 out of 2.

Iโ€™m building a new version of the same app and iโ€™m recreating from scratch but i canโ€™t find a solution to repeat the above setup. Basically when i try to use the same Google Sheets Sheet (tab) the sheet is greyed out because it has already been used on a table.

0 3 425
3 REPLIES 3

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

What youโ€™re trying to do isnโ€™t supported behavior. You can probably accomplish what you want with slices and views alone without needing the same table twice. If youโ€™d like to detail some of your requirements, we may be able to suggest supported alternatives.

Thanks Steve,

The scenario is like this: a parcel is weighed and measured in stage 1. The back office then review this data (without the ability to edit it) and then complete the remaining 4 fields of the form which arenโ€™t accessible during stage 1.

An approach I might take would be to have a single table and two slices on that table. The first slice would only include the columns needed for weighing and measuring; the second would include all columns.

Two form views: one atop the first slice for stage 1, the other atop the second slice for stage 2.

The stage 1 slice and view will only include columns that should be editable, so nothing to do there; but for stage 2, you want the columns from stage 1 to be uneditable. Those columns can be configured to limit editing by taking advantage of the CONTEXT() function in column Editable? expressions:

NOT(CONTEXT("View") = "Stage 2_Form")

This would prevent the user from modifying the column value when the column is displayed in the view named Stage 2_Form.

Top Labels in this Space