Create Copies of Google Slides and Google Sheets templates with Actions

Caio

I’d like to be able to Create Copies of Google Slides and Google Sheets templates with Actions.
Without having to use complex Webhooks.
Thanks

Status Open
0 8 372
8 Comments
WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I’m curious to know your use case where this feature would be beneficial. Could you describe it?

Caio

Hello, thanks for asking. Currently all our system is based on Apps Script and Sheets, but I’d to migrate to AppSheet.

In our company we have some Google Slides Presentation Templates that user needs to use depending on the topic he is going to present to our leadership.
When he clicks a button to create presentation, the script automatically generate a copy of the template, modify the name, save in a specific folder and the copy opens to the user edit as he wants.

Thanks

Julien
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hi Caio,

I have a similar case.
Did you find a way to achieve this?

Thanks!

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I didn’t see this response from 5 months ago or I would have offered this suggestion then.

You can create a trigger within the Google Script to run the script process based on a sheet change. I would tie a row in a sheet to an AppSheet button that toggles a value - say from false to true.

The script triggers on a sheet change and then inspects that the button value has been set to true. If so the script continues with its normal routine to create/copy and when completes, resets the button value to false.

If not, i.e. the button value is still false, then the script exits early without doing anything.

Julien
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Thanks,

Appart from the script, I was interested to know if AppSheet is able to generate google slices based on a template like currently possible with Google Doc, Excel and Word documents.

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I assume you meant “slides”. Unfortunately the answer is no, not at the present time.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

takuya_miyai
Silver 5
Silver 5

Hi there.

We can't achieve this with Action alone, but now it's easy to achieve similar functionality with Apps Script integration.🤗
(I believe this thread is from before Apps Script integration was released)

Reference topics

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/Tips-Tricks/Related-Jamboard-files-Using-Apps-Script-connect...

@Roderick