Create Reports, Downloadable as PDF or CSV & Viewable as Web Page Using Google Sheet's 'Publish' Feature

From Google Sheet menu

File>Publish to the web
Select a single sheet, or leave ‘entire document’ selected to convert all sheets to a web page, CSV, or PDF.

Choose CSV or PDF and the publish link will download a file.

Choose Web page and the publish link opens a view only-page of the selected table (or ‘entire document’).

This could be used directly on the sheets containing your app data, or on a Pivot Table containing summary data to generate reports.

NOTE ON SECURITY:
This method could expose all of your sheet data publicly. There is an option to require sign-in, but it is not checked by default.

Consider using a separate spreadsheet with IMPORTRANGE(), FILTER(), or QUERY() to isolate the data being published.

4 8 1,928
8 REPLIES 8

That’s a pretty cool self serve data method of delivery. I dig it!

@GreenFlux Thank you very much for sharing this.
Since IMPORTRANGE() and QUERY() needs long loading time, I recommend to create a new sheet for that. Not to use the sheet that your App is using.

Yes, I agree

Can u show us a method where we can view these shared sheet or document in the appsheet app itself as a dedicated view

The easiest way would be to copy the Publish to web URL and add an action to open the webpage.

It won’t display IN the app, but it will be easy to open the web page, and click back to return to the app.

if i publish in PDF format…will the link which google sheet shows remain same…even if there are changes to the data in the pivot table

Yes, the link will remain the same and the published document will refresh every 5 minutes.

Ok…cool…that’s great…No matter what document type we select to publish…does it stay the same !

Top Labels in this Space