Creating counter

Hi,

In my app, a user selects a event number and provides description for this event. Event numbers are simple list 1,2,3,4 etc to 30. I made it a dropdown enum field. However, I also need to ensure that the user cannot select the same event number twice AND cannot select a value less than the latest selected event number, i.e. cannot select 2 when the latest was 3 for instance.

Something like VALID IF [THIS VALUE] > MAX Value FROM table_of_values

Solved Solved
0 15 542
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@AlexShevyakov
ะขะตะฟะตั€ัŒ ั ะปัƒั‡ัˆะต ะฟะพะฝะธะผะฐัŽ ะฒะฐัˆัƒ ะฟั€ะพะฑะปะตะผัƒ. ะกะฟะฐัะธะฑะพ ะทะฐ ะพะฑัŠััะฝะตะฝะธะต.

SELECT($SheetData[VoyageN],TRUE, TRUE) - SELECT(Voyages[#ะ›ะŸ],TRUE, TRUE)

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

@AlexShevyakov
I believe it would be easier to list the unused event numbers in your Enum dropdown

{"1" , "2" , "3" , ..... "30"} - SELECT(TableName[EventNumberColumnName],TRUE, TRUE)

@LeventK
Hm, not quite sure how to implement this - probably a bit unfamiliar with this logic. Evidently, substituting with actual names I get the following VALID IF expression:

SELECT($SheetData[VoyageN],TRUE, TRUE)
However, the dropdown operates as before, I can select same number n times.
Am I missing something?

@AlexShevyakov
Are you populating the dropdown content from the same table and column that you are querying? How do you construct the list of event numbers from 1-30? Can you please elaborate?

@LeventK
Sorry for delayed response. I have a service table $SheetData which containes pre-populated event numbers from 1 to 30.
User creates an event (a voyage) and is prompted to enter event number. For this, I use enum type and VALID IF expression such as $SheetData[VoyageN] which pulls the data (voyage numbers from 1 to 30) from the table $SheetData.

@AlexShevyakov

SELECT($SheetData[VoyageN],TRUE, TRUE) - SELECT(EventTableName[EventNumberColumnName],TRUE, TRUE)

Please remember if two users are adding the event number at the same time, they will have the same number and you canโ€™t directly avoid that.

The app will be used by a single user at a time, this is ensured through the workflow.

@LeventK
But this is exactly what I used before - you may see a screenshot above.
I had entered SELECT($SheetData[VoyageN],TRUE, TRUE) it as VALID_IF expression.
Am I missing something?

@AlexShevyakov
Iโ€™m not sure if I have understood you correctly. Please confirm the following:
1.) You have a Service Table (named as $SheetData as you speak) which contains a pre-populated event numbers from 1 to 30
2.) You have an Events Table where you create event records and have an [Event Number] column, which is Enum Type where you select an event number
Are these correct?

@LeventK
All data is within a single Spreadsheet.

1. Sheet $SheetData has column [VoyageN] with the event numbers from 1 to 30;
  2. Sheet Voyages (= event table) has column [#ะ›ะŸ] which is event number column, populated from $SheetData and used as reference for event description.
    So item 1 and 2 are correct.

Sorry , should probably learn how to describe problems clearly(((

@AlexShevyakov
ะขะตะฟะตั€ัŒ ั ะปัƒั‡ัˆะต ะฟะพะฝะธะผะฐัŽ ะฒะฐัˆัƒ ะฟั€ะพะฑะปะตะผัƒ. ะกะฟะฐัะธะฑะพ ะทะฐ ะพะฑัŠััะฝะตะฝะธะต.

SELECT($SheetData[VoyageN],TRUE, TRUE) - SELECT(Voyages[#ะ›ะŸ],TRUE, TRUE)

@LeventK

Works perfectly!
Had to change type from ENUM to NUMBER

@LeventK
Much appreciated! Thank you - ะกะฟะฐัะธะฑะพ - teลŸekkรผr ederim!

@AlexShevyakov
ะะต ะทะฐ ั‡ั‚ะพ โ€ฆ ะœะฝะต ะฟั€ะธัั‚ะฝะพ ะฟะพะผะพั‡ัŒ

@LeventK

Hm, the issue however, is when you try to edit previous record in the Voyages table (= event table), the system says: the entry is invalid. Apparently it thinks that I have just entered this value whereas it is reading from the table Voyages.

Top Labels in this Space