CSV export

I want to share some experiences about CSV export.

Action
You can use an Action “App: export this view to a CSV file (not a row-level action)”.

PRO:

• This will download the actual view. So you don’t have to prepare a Template for the CSV.
  • By using a slice, you can control the column order.

CONTRA:

• You cannot control the file name.
  • The CSV file will always be comma separated. You cannot change it to semicolon for example.

Workflow / Report
In Workflow or Report you can use “Save File” and “CSV” as the HTTP Content Type.

PRO:

• You can control the file name.
  • You can disable the timestamp. With that, the new CSV will override the old. You always have the most recent file.
  • You can control the separator: In the Template just use for example semicolon instead of comma.
  • You can hide the header: In the Template just delete the header.
  • You can add Lists: In the Template just add another Select expression.
14 16 6,399
16 REPLIES 16

Additional Pro with “save file”… it will open the CSV as normal spreadsheet. No need to SPLIT data.

The only reason I use the Action is when the user wants the ability to view the CSV table on the device in-app. Otherwise you need to email and open another app. Wish the CSV action allowed more control…

My experience with the action is that it does NOT export the view… It forces the key to be included in the file, and it shows all columns in the table/slice. So if I create a table view and only have 5 columns, and am not showing the key… It’ll just dump out everything filtered…

I can see the need to tailor the CSV output (without the extra steps of creating specific views just for this)…

I came here hoping to find a solution to use a template (excel) the same way the export to CSV action does, for this very reason.
With the current action of exporting to csv, as you state, the exported CSV dumps all fields within the slice or table that the views is based on. To prevent this, you must create a slice and only include the relevant fields. However, sometimes the slice relies on fields that you may not want to be shown in the view. In order to slice on those fields, they must be included in the slice and therefore are included in the export csv.

An action that allowed a template to be used but exported the data (immediate download rather than sending via email) would be idea.

What I want is export a view (table view) and filter the columns (row filter works from slice).
From both a column selected view and a slice, all of the original data columns are exported.

Could you please elabrate your own case bit deeper so that we get to know what you want to try to achieve.

How do you CSV export?

Hi @EMAG_Mexico
You use an Action to export CSV

Hi tsuji_koichi,
Hi Fabian,

Is a great tool this csv file export by Bots, because it brings many Pros,
But, wil be very interesting in the future that we can to have all these properties for csv export for not a row-level action,

Thanks a lot!.

I can’t to download csv file.

What can I do please??

Hi @frankikoch71
Could you please supply more info. What exactly are you trying to do. What is not working?
Edit
Please create a new Question.

I try to explain this, when I want to

Normally it start automatically the download, you can see in this picture on the left corner below

But when I want to make this action only appear this download case and for my file when I don’t have this file still.

I hope to explain this to understand a little beat.

Thank you.

I didn´t finish the first sentence sorry, when I want to download this csv success the next.

Estás usando la acción “importar” en lugar de “exportar”

Sorry

Gracias, no me di cuenta del pequeño detalle.

Top Labels in this Space