CSV to download dereferenced fields?

Can the CSV download have dereferenced fields i.e. WYSIWYG? If I download CSV from an interlinked table today, the references all download as numbers/db row identifiers for the linked tables. This reduces the potential utility of the CSV download button.

Status Open
0 6 125
6 Comments
LeventK
Silver 5
Silver 5

Can you please expand the idea? I do understand from your statement that, as REF_ROWS() (or Related columns) include the key column value of the parent table, are you asking for a more definitive value esp. for references?

Simusolar_Surve

An example:

Table 1 ‘Famous People’ with Key column as ID and Label column as NAME:
ID | NAME
1 | Spock
2. | Anakin

Table 2 ‘Epics’ with Key column as ID and Label column as Epic:
ID | Epic | Famous Person(link to Table1 ID)
a | StarWrs | 2
b | StarTrk | 1

Table view within AppSheet for Table 2:
ID | Epic | Famous Person
a | StarWrs | Anakin
b | StarTrk | Spock

CSV download from UI for Table 2:
ID, Epic, Famous Person
a, StarWrs, 2 (ref)
b, StarTrk, 1

What I’d like instead:
ID, Epic, Famous Person
a, StarWrs, Anakin (dereferenced)
b, StarTrk, Spock

GreenFlux
Gold 1
Gold 1

Is the view (or Ref table) based on a Slice that does not include all columns?
If so, make sure the label for the related table is included in the Slice’s column list.

Simusolar_Surve

This is from the base table itself.
An example of this is storing a list of regions in a country, then each customer is linked to a region. Now if I download the customers table as CSV, in the ‘region’ column I’d get the region db row number, and not the name of the region - whereas in the table view in appsheet I see the actual name since the regions table has ‘Name’ as the label column. The only way around would be to create a TEXT virtual column for every dereference, but that becomes onerous for tables with many linked columns.
So I’m suggesting that instead of the ref itself, the label from the corresponding table should be what the CSV contains.

GreenFlux
Gold 1
Gold 1

Hmm… I just tested this in two different apps, and both of them show the related row’s label, not the key.

I’ve seen similar things happen when a slice column is missing. I don’t know what else could cause it, though.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager