Custom folder path for a copy of files from bots and form uploads

SkrOYC
Participant V

Hi everyone!
My client wants the app to put a copy of the file that’s uploaded to be saved on the company’s cloud storage. This should also apply to the files made through bots/workflows/reports.

I know that files made through bots are saved to the “Default app folder” under Info → Properties.
I also know that there is a security measure in order to prevent someone having access to the cloud storage where the app is located to delete a file that was uploaded through a form. This would break the app’s link to the file.

That’s why I think the best way is to have an option to make a copy to a place of our choice where we could select a folder, similar to how we look for a worksheet to add it to our app, and then create a formula to make the folder path starting from the folder we have chosen.

So, add an option called “Second copy attachment folder” that we can select similar to how we look for a workbook and then “Second copy folder path” allowing an expression.

This should be under this part of the bot/task:

The same thing under this part of files from forms:

So, to have a second copy of files from bots and from forms where we can select whichever folder we want from the company’s cloud storage (Sharepoint, for example) and then we can create an expression to complete the folder path dynamically. This second copy shouldn’t have the limitations that the first copy has like “just folder path relative to the worksheet” or “folder path relative to ‘Default app folder’”, instead, full custom folder path

Hope this makes sense to someone else

Status Open
3 10 325
10 Comments
SkrOYC
Participant V

Well, since I haven’t received any help, @Steve you are my only hope Is there anyone at AppSheet team that we can point out to?

Steve
Participant V

This was posted as a feature request. Feature request don’t usually get prompt attention. Perhaps you meant to post it as a question?

SkrOYC
Participant V

I’m gonna SPAM this thing today
Hope there is some attention and even may be a tip around the corner to solve this!

Marc_Dillon
Participant V

Or perhaps you want to make your request more clear. It seems to me that you’re asking for 2 things here:

1. Greater control over file locations. (there are lots of posts about file locations, and possibly even some feature requests for this already)
  2. Ability to create multiple copies of the files.

Is that correct? What other “attention” are you expecting on this post?

SkrOYC
Participant V

Thanks for giving the time to post to this topic

1. That won’t change since, as I explained in the first post, there is some kind of expected behaviour where the file path needs to be inside a certain “default” folder in order to make sure the files are not gonna be removed (or changes the name of the file) from the backend by someone that doesn’t necessarily uses the app breaking the app’s access to it.
  2. This brigns the second option (the one I would like to see as a new feature). To have full control over a copy instead of the original file, so that the copy is anywhere we want, or the clients wants for this matter
Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

SEUAdmin
Participant III

I have the same issue here, I have changed the default folder at our Company shared drive to have all attachements and created PDFs stored for everyone's access, Now that I need a copy stored at the location where the app lives, I cannot find any formula or way to make the app access microsoft sharepoint to store a copy.  Now it's funny that the automation has already the ability to pull the template from where the app lives. The same ability to pull templates should be implemented to store files and attachements.

SkrOYC
Participant V

@SEUAdmin you can use Sharepoint as a folder for your apps and it's files.

The thing is that I don't consider it a Public folder kind of scenario where if someone deletes a file there it would break the app, which is why I consider this feature request as a need

dbaum
Participant V

Not sure I'm following, but in case it's helpful: You can use Microsoft Power Automate to create a flow that automatically copies files from a designated SharePoint location to another location on SharePoint, OneDrive, or probably anywhere else that has a connector available.

SEUAdmin
Participant III

Thanks @dbaum, before I read your reply this morning, I did found out about Power Automate, that helped my issue, it was the only viable solution i was able to find.