Dashboard View Behavior - Table starts blank, how to start with first row selected?

I have a dashboard with three views, a detail view of user filters, a table of records, and a detail view for each record of the table. Currently, when you load the page, it starts without a record selected and, thus, the record detail view is blank. Any way to have it select the first row by default?

(Iโ€™ve searched the community pages for an answer and, ironically, the only thing Iโ€™ve found is wanting the opposite behavior, sorry to be โ€˜that guyโ€™)

0 19 1,852
19 REPLIES 19

So I assume as you update the user filter it then updates the detail view? What does the user filter table look like? Are you resetting it back to blank or something? It sounds like you need to setup the user filter default to select the record you want to start with. If you share some screenshots of how your user filter and detail view are setup together I can help with a more specific answer?

Austin
Participant V

Is this an interactive dashboard? If so then you canโ€™t auto select a row I believe.

GreenFlux
Participant V

To expand on what @Austin_Lambeth said, LINKTOROW() does not work with Interactive dashboards.

IF Interactive mode is OFF, LINKTOROW([Key], "Dashboard ViewName") will select a row in the table view and pull up the same record in detail view.

3X_b_b_bb327ef4715bb902d84db28f45b542a8d953a25f.png

However, LINKTOROW([Key], "Dashboard ViewName") will break the dashboard with Interactive mode ON.

The dashboard stops responding and you have to refresh the page to fix it.

TIP: To get LINKTOROW() working AND keep Interactive Mode functionality,

• Turn Interactive Mode OFF
  • Create an action to Go to a view in this app: LINKTOROW([Key], "Dashboard ViewName")
  • Set that action at the Row Selected behavior for the table view

The Interactive functionality will be simulated with the action, and LINKTOROW() will work from any other view in the app.

[EDIT]
Almost forgot the last step:

Set UX>Options>Starting View to a formula, and use LINKTOROW() & MINROW() to pull up the first record.

Can we display or hide subtables connected to the main table with this method?

Thank you all so much. @GreenFlux, youโ€™re the best! thanks for such a detailed response, Iโ€™m gonna try that out and see if it works.

Jonathan_S
Participant V

Guys, we need this functionality without the Greenflux workaround.

Any input on when this will implemented? It looks like its already half working, just locks up.

I also have an interactive Dashboard. Itโ€™s a Primary View. When I open it, nothing is selected. The Ref Detail views show a random row. This is confusing.
How can I preselect the first row? Since itโ€™s a Primary View I canโ€™t use LINKTOROW().

Actually it isnโ€™t random.

It is showing the first record. But โ€œfirstโ€ can be different based on your data source. For GSheet, it is the topmost record on the sheet. For SQL it is the record whose key value comes first alphabetically. Iโ€™ve used this fact to setup a โ€œblankโ€ record to show in the Detail view at first, typically with a generic graphic and/or text that says โ€œplease select a recordโ€.

Also, a related feature request:

Thatโ€™s a very nice idea thank you.

Thereโ€™s another question:
I have 3 Tables in my interactive dashboard: Parent, Child, Grandchild.
Like: Customers, Orders, Items.
When I click on a customer, the first Order shows up in the interactive dashboard. But the Orderโ€™s Items are not showing up. I have to first open another Order (via the arrows โดโต) to see the Orderโ€™s Items.
Is this the normal behavior?
In the Items Table Iโ€™ve even added a VC to have the Ref to the Customer Table.

I would call that โ€œnormalโ€ behavior, yes.

When you select a Customer, the Order Table gets filtered. Similarly, the Items Table wonโ€™t get filtered until you select an Order, but just because the first Order is being shown, doesnโ€™t mean anything was yet selected.

OK I see, thank you @Marc_Dillon.
But this is not very intuitive. Because wrong data is presented to the user initially.
I found an old post where I was asking the same question

What do you think @Aleksi and @Steve should this be reported as a bug?

I suspect itโ€™d be more of a feature request. I doubt this particular use-case was considered, so the resulting behavior is coincidental rather than intentional.

I was just doing some experimenting with your situation to try to understand it better, and I stumbled across something weird. What I said above was based on actual app-building for clients:

But in my experimenting just now, with an interactive dashboard consisting of just a Table and Detail view of the same Table, the Detail is displaying as blank if nothing is selected, which is exactly opposite of what I experienced previously. I have no idea why.

3X_9_6_96c04fa528bd2d868510a576c6702bf46e93a6e8.png

I was hoping to replicate what you were seeing with your Customer-Order-Items 3-table dashboard, but then I ran into that, so let me ask exactly what youโ€™re seeing. First, how exactly do you have your dashboard set up? In my tests case, with 3 tables, I set up 6 views, a Table and a Detail for each Table, where the user can select records in each Table to filter the other Tables and Detail.

Is that what youโ€™re doing too?

Here is a screenshot where a customer is selected but nothing else. You can see the orders are filtered down, however none are yet selected (and order detail is blank). However the items table is still showing the full list, the interactive filtering obviously only applies 1 level away.

Thank you very much for your testing @Marc_Dillon.
I have it set up like this:
Customer Table | Order Detail | Items Table

Yes this is exactly what Iโ€™m seeing.

Really?

Arenโ€™t there multiple orders per customer? How do you expect an app-user to select a specific order in this situation?

Yes there are multiple orders per customers. When a Customer is selected, the first Order should be seen in the Order Detail. Thatโ€™s the desired setup. The user can then switch between orders by using the arrows.

Ah. Well then the answer I think is that youโ€™re using interactive dashboard incorrectly.

Hi @Marc_Dillon there was once a Sample App that used a setup like I want to use. But the sample app is no more available. Perhaps because it was using the dashboard incorrectly, as you said

I found the reason why this was not working: As I said I already had a Ref connection between the customer table and the items table. But this was an Enum with type Ref.
Now I changed this to a real Ref column and it is working!!!
I select a customer and the first order and this orderโ€™s items are shown.

Top Labels in this Space