Data: Edit a row of another table using the values from this row

Status Open
14 17 3,148
17 Comments
MultiTech
Participant V

You can accomplish this with two actions:

1. a data set action to set the column values you want
  2. a navigation action to open the form you want (after the edits)
RPD_Mobile_Apps
Participant II

@MultiTech_Visions

Hi! Thanks you for the suggestion, but doing so ( 1. a data set action to set the column values you want)
would require me to create a connection between source row and target table. Creating connections between table is not really applicable to every app.

I am thinking of a situation where the user will browse the current table and select a specific detail row. An action would be available that will let me edit a specific row of another table using the current table’s details.

Aleksi
Staff

In generally you could do this with a combination of LINKTOROW and “Reset initial value”.

RPD_Mobile_Apps
Participant II

@Aleksi
Might work on some apps but the same with previous suggestion, Toggling “Reset Initial Value” ‘on’ and setting a formula in “Initial Value” would require me to establish a connection between Table 1 & Table 2. Naturally, with this method I would need to set a formula to “Initial Value” option, like LOOKUP or such, to arrive into the value I desire, but I cannot think of a way to really “Get the value of the current table’s selected row using a formula.” One way I can think of is using LOOKUP but I cannot think of a way to lookup to the content of the current selected row.

Aleksi
Staff

Because you can’t read the record where you are coming from with the LINKTOROW, you should mark it before leaving it… like with an action and value NOW(). Then you can read values from the latest record from that source table.

RPD_Mobile_Apps
Participant II

@Aleksi

The app is actually used by multiple users. Leaving a mark to the row might leave some problems when users execute the same action on different rows all at the same time. LOOKUP will surely detect only the top row which has a mark. They will all use the value of the same top row as source values

Aleksi
Staff

You could use USEREMAIL()&NOW.

RPD_Mobile_Apps
Participant II

Good solution. However, I would like to limit writing data to tables as much as possible because this is a field service app. Signal may not be good at specific areas, so syncing is recommended to be less. For now, I could use your solution. Thanks @Aleksi

aucforum
Participant V

I would like to please request this as an explicit feature that allows one to ‘edit a row to another table using values from this row’.

It would be something like a variation on the action: “Data: add a new row to another table using values from this row”. It seems the groundwork for such a feature already exists.

This will be more simple and direct and avoid the compromises and improvisations suggested previously.

Sean_Lim
Participant V

Hi, I also see that an explicit addition of this Action would greatly improve user experience. Like @RPD_Mobile_Apps I am designing an app for multiple users, where there is a table with rows that saves user-selected formatting configurations for certain rows in an unrelated table. Users would be able to revisit any configuration as they please, allowing for quick adjustment of formatting of many rows at the same time.

In my case, text needs to be copied from one row on Sheet A and either appended onto or subtracted from an “enumlist-type” field on a row on another unrelated Sheet B. Sure, a user can select from a list on Sheet B, but users enjoy browsing through information on Sheet A that they are more familiar with and clicking rows to be added on a row on Sheet B. Imagine simply pressing 1 button to bring customization and clarity to navigating the app. That would be the power of this proposed feature.

Harriswe
Participant V

I would just like to second your request:

request this as an explicit feature that allows one to ‘edit a row to another table using values from this row’.

I have a scenario where I require that exact same feature.

Joe_Benson1
Participant II

I would also like this feature please. Seems so obvious, can’t work out why it didn’t get added when add new row to another table action was introduced.

Fabian_Weller
Participant V

I would also like to have this feature. Right now I’m also using a ChangeTimestamp column and LOOKUP to paste the value into another table. This would be unnecessary with the action type “Edit a row of another table using the values from this row”.

Sheldon_Jackson
Observer

I would also like to have this feature.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager