Data only references || Meaning: they produce no reverse reference list

When you create a reference between tables, a reverse reference list will be created in the parent in the form of a “Related Whatever” virtual column that’s a list.
3X_8_0_808691afefde12d5be38aaad358c90b3ebc05d66.png

Sometimes though, you only wish to create a reference so you can use the de-reference system - or to otherwise hold that information as a variable. (Such as who the “lead” for a project is)

But whenever you create a reference, the reverse reference list is automatically created. In fact, if you make any significant modifications to the formula, this will cause ANOTHER system generated reverse reference list to appear.

By default, the system expects - and enforces - there to be a single “Related Whatever” virtual column with a base formula of
REF_ROWS(“Table”, “Column”)

The current “hack” to remove these extra list column is the change the formula to “List(”")"

• which long ago was implemented as a hack to get around this very same issue.

This works, but it leaves you a bunch of “extra” columns that you just have to remember aren’t the actual “related whatever” columns.

How about the ability to indicate, on the reference column’s type qualifier level, whether or not this reference should produce that list or not.

3X_e_b_ebade7af51161c394b7601056b998995d895f035.png

As always, thanks for considering! (^_^)

Solved Solved
0 3 408
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

UPDATE

For those finding this at a later date, this feature request has been fulfilled.

Instead of making a column a reference, make a column an Enum WITH THE BASE TYPE REF - and select the appropriate table.

You can de-reference from Enums, and list de-reference from EnumLists!

I’ve put together a sample app showing how to accomplish both.
https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Showing-how-to-dereference-from-enum-columns?appGuidString=038fd74c...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Just don’t make it a Ref?

I could yes… but then it won’t have the automatic formatting associated with the reference

• I’m talking about the labels here (the image and text).

If I just need the ID for programming purposes - sure, just hold it as a text;
but if I need it to be visible (and clickable like a ref)…

Perhaps with all the updates about refs - and how they’re supposed to work with enums now - perhaps that might be an option.

UPDATE

For those finding this at a later date, this feature request has been fulfilled.

Instead of making a column a reference, make a column an Enum WITH THE BASE TYPE REF - and select the appropriate table.

You can de-reference from Enums, and list de-reference from EnumLists!

I’ve put together a sample app showing how to accomplish both.
https://www.appsheet.com/samples/Showing-how-to-dereference-from-enum-columns?appGuidString=038fd74c...

Top Labels in this Space