Data Partitioning, Can more than 1 partition be loaded?

Can I create a partitioning expression to load more than 1 partition for some users?

0 6 395
6 REPLIES 6

I donโ€™t believe so.

How would you handle an administrative view that would need to see combined data?

Iโ€™m going to assume there is some reason that you canโ€™t have it all in one table, such as smartsheet limitationsโ€ฆ

You would have a table that lists the partitions, and either of the following:
You could have an admin app that has each of the partitions, loaded up as separate data sourcesโ€ฆ And virtual columns running calculations for the partition table.
Or, you could have something happening in the back end, that goes fetches the calculated data.

I would challenge you to consider your data modeling that is requiring you to partition your data.

I havenโ€™t set up any partitions yet, trying to decide the best course of action for what will become an increasingly large amount of data.

According to Praveen.
A legit SQL database, with security filters is all you need. The security expressions are pushed to the SQL side so theyโ€™re fast

Another option is levels of archival. With the new add a row feature, we can โ€œduplicateโ€ records as theyโ€™re created and modified. This provides the capability to have aggressive archiving for data sets that certain users will use most often, and then have an archival view that the user can switch to via user settingsโ€ฆ (Which can be handled via data partitionsโ€ฆ)

Point is, if everyone has the right & need to see all the data at one time or another, and your data source isnโ€™t constrained, thereโ€™s no reason not to just load down with millions of recordsโ€ฆ

Top Labels in this Space