Data Vaidity Checks

I have a parent table and a Child Table. The Child table pulls 3 columns from the Parent table using the de-referencing. When I try to put a Valid If constraint on these 3 columns that they cannot be blank. When I test it, the result is fine. But during addition of new rows in to the child table, this constraint does not function and the rows are added in the child table even if these columns are null. Kindly let me know how do I correct this? My app id is ECEPDC-576800. The parent tables is Machine Log and Child Table is Component Log.

Thanks

Bala

0 19 1,326
19 REPLIES 19

Are you filling those 3 columns with initial value?

They have a formula. The Child table has a ref column [PARENT LINK] in to the parent table. The 3 columns have the formulae [PARENT LINK].[DATE], [PARENT LINK].[MACHINE], [PARENT LINK].[SHIFT]. The child table is Part Of Parent table.

I am trying to restrict this, since there is an oppurtunity to create a row in the child column without using the Partof method.

With Best Regards

Bala

You need to add a ValidIf in the child table (any column) as you are trying to prevent a row from being saved there, not in the parent table.

Yes, the checks are in the Child table.

Ty

Bala

Steve
Participant V

For each child column that must be non-blank, set Required? to ON.

The Valid If expression is ONLY checked if the column is given a value; if the column is left blank, the Valid If expression is not evaluated at all.

Yes,

Look like what you have said " if the column is left blank, the Valid If expression is not evaluated at all" is the problem I am facing.

I am looking to restrict creating of new rows in the Child table only by adding rows through the Parent table entry. I do not want users to add rows directly in to the child table. Thats the reason why I am trying this. Basically these columns will be blank or empty if rows are created through child table. Or else kindly suggest me a solution that you might know.

Thanks and Regards

Bala

@Balakumar_Krishnamur Open the app with the old editor and mark those virtual columns as required. You can open the old editor with &OldEditor=true if you add that string to your URL directly after the AppName-123456.

@Aleksi I tried what you suggested. But, the 3 columns are not vitrual columns. So it didnt help.

Thank you

Bala

Lynn
Participant V

Im not sure if this is what you are after but maybe check out this thread.

@Balakumar_Krishnamur I checked your app and it seems that we havenโ€™t understood your descriptions correctly. Those 3 columns in your child table are using app formulas (with a deref). Because of the app formula, the required feature wonโ€™t work like you are thinking. Itโ€™s a calculated value and depending on your parent record, they are blank or not. If you would read your deref values with the initial value, then they canโ€™t be blank and the required functionality would work.

@Aleksi I have tried with initial values also. It didnt work. Now I am referring to the post that @Lynn has mentioned. Will let you all know if it works.

Thanks

Bala

If you remove your app formula and use that same formula with the initial value, it should work correctly and you canโ€™t leave that column as blank.

@Aleksi I need the app formulae there. But the post that Lynn send has helped me. I have removed the system + and edit buttons for that table from being displayed. Hopefully that should prevent users from adding using the inline view.

Thanks for your help guys.

Bala

If you need the caculation with the deref, you can make the same calculation with the initial value field.

Though these are two different issues.

@Aleksi Thank you for your tip. You got me in the right direction. When I disabled the Add and edit options, it was causing other issues.

Finally I moved the formula in to the Initial Value section with a modification as follows:

โ€œIF(ISBLANK([PARENT LINK].[MACHINE]), โ€œDUMMYโ€,[PARENT LINK].[MACHINE])โ€

Then I checked if the validity if the value is not โ€œDUMMYโ€. If I just used [PARENT LINK].[MACHINE], the ISNOTBLANK() was not being checked (behaved same as when used in formulae).

Thanks Guys

Bala

May I ask why do you use ISNOTBLANK(โ€ฆ)?

Just to ensure that the Formula [PARENT LINK].[XXXXX] has some value. Else the rows is saving with empty values (due to user error inputs). I am not able to link it with the Parent Table.

Thanks

Bala

You donโ€™t need to use Valid If. Remove that and just mark the column as Requested.

Top Labels in this Space