Data Validation for Text & Number Together

li_Hua

Hi,
I would like to implement a container number in the app sheet. Is it possible to validate based on the first 4 characters are alphabets and the next 7 characters numbers and shows that entry is invalid if it does not meet the requirement?

Solved Solved
0 18 5,306
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Unfortunately the expression will need to be much more complicated. So youโ€™ll need to use an expression like the below. I have tested it and it works well.

• [_THIS] is a special variable that refers to the value, text in this case, of the current column.
  • The MID() function picks off each single character by its position in the text.
  • NUMBER() will return zero if the character is alphabetic.
  • NUMBER() will also return zero if the value is number 0 so we explicitly do not allow zero in the first 4 positions but DO allow โ€œ0000000โ€ for the last 7.
AND(
    LEN([_THIS]) = 11,
    AND(NUMBER(MID([_THIS],1,1))=0, MID([_THIS],1,1) <> "0"),
    AND(NUMBER(MID([_THIS],2,1))=0, MID([_THIS],2,1) <> "0"),
    AND(NUMBER(MID([_THIS],3,1))=0, MID([_THIS],3,1) <> "0"),
    AND(NUMBER(MID([_THIS],4,1))=0, MID([_THIS],4,1) <> "0"),
    OR(NUMBER(RIGHT([_THIS],7)) > 0, RIGHT([_THIS],7) = "0000000")
)

I would also recommend including a custom error message for when the format is invalid. An example might be:

"Correct format is 'xxx0000000' - 11 characters with 4 letters followed by 7 numbers"

Customer Message Goes Here:

Message Shows like this
2X_f_f975341cff63cfc8b570b8fba4a1319e5861ca15.png

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

Yes. You would need to implement an expression in the Valid_If property of the column. AppSheet does not use mask strings for validation so you will need to manually โ€œinspectโ€ the input to determine its validity.

There are functions RIGHT() and LEFT() where you can get the substrings to test validity.

Iโ€™m not certain but I believe Iโ€™ve read that you can use the NUMBER() function to validate if the value is a number and even if its NOT a number.

So long as the value isnโ€™t zero to begin with, this approximates numeric validation:

(NUMBER(value) <> 0)

Hi, I am attempting to simply do input validation on a text column and this does not work.  I put in the validation field: (NUMBER([_THIS]) <> 0) and it will allow me to put in any text I like...?  Upon running a "test" it appears any input evaluates to true?

Hi Patrick. I used the following expression to prevent text input on a phone type column and it works for me:

1. My phone numbers must contains 10 digits.

2. My phone numbers can't contain letters or symbols.

3. This Validation is used when rows added.

AND(LEN([_THIS])=10,COUNT(EXTRACTNUMBERS([_THIS]))>0,COUNT(SPLIT([Phone_Number]," "))=1)

Hi John,

While researching, I noticed you were able to solve an issue similar to mine, hence this message. In fact I have three separate issues, please guide me with a solution, or point me to the right person. Iโ€™m less than a month old non-techie in this AppSheet adventure, but do understand spreadsheets well: both Excel and Google Sheets.

Correct syntax for two Valid If conditions to validate correct input

Iโ€™ve used one Valid If condition in my App and it works fine. Now I need to add another Valid If condition that uses a calculated number from another sheet/table/cell. I know Iโ€™m supposed to use the AND in my validation condition, but I donโ€™t know exactly how. BTW, Iโ€™m a non-technical newbie, so please bear with me, and make the answer simple to understand and implement! Many thanks!

In a Sign In Table, View type Form, Column Type SHOW, Type Details > Contents (Cell value in Text), tests okay but doesnโ€™t appear on the screen of the App

For my AppSheet app, Iโ€™ve created a Sign In form where the top row is supposed to show Availability (a โ€œAvailable/Busy, Please waitโ€ value calculated by the underlying Google Sheet). The Column Type is SHOW. Under Type Details > Category, Iโ€™ve put the Page_Header, and on the Sign In screen of the App, it correctly shows โ€œAvailabilityโ€ in big, bold fonts. However, under Type Details > Contents, Iโ€™ve put =[Availability] to insert the current value of Availability , which does not show up on the App screen. However, when I do Test from Expression Assistant, the Test Page DOES show the correct values for Availability! It just doesnโ€™t appear on the Appโ€™s Sign In screen! What am I missing?

Send Email from Workflow tests okay, but not actually sending it

I want to send an automated Order Confirmation email to each customer when he places an order. Iโ€™ve been able to design an Order Report and it works fine from the Test > Send method, and I do get an email with a nicely formatted PDF attachment also. However, this is not happening automatically, as it is supposed to, when the customer syncs the app with all the items ordered after saving all the purchases in the App. So what am not doing right?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Parag Raval

Please post a screenshot of the columnโ€™s configuration screen showing the topmost section and the Type details section.

Is the app deployed?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your prompt response.
Iโ€™m enclosing two screenshot images.
The one with the red โ€œarrowโ€ (the App Screen side) indicates where Iโ€™m expecting to see (but it shows nothing) the spreadsheet calculated Content value of the column [Availability], which is either โ€œAvailableโ€ or โ€œBusy, Please waitโ€, next to the value for the Page_Header, which shows correctly as Availability, as expected.
The second page is just an enlargement of the left side of the screen.
Is this what you were expecting to see?

Many thanks for your help!

Parag

I donโ€™t understand what those screenshots are showing. They appear corrupted?

On the first one, there is some over-print in the upper left side of the screen. Please ignore that. The bottom left is what you were looking for and right side is the App Screen on a laptop screen.

I tried Ctrl + P three times but same thing happened each time!

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Referenced by @WillowMobileSystems:

Hi, Thanks for answering earlier!
I have tried out the formula LEFT() and the expression is fine but it shows this error: ERROR INVALID CONSTRAINT instead once I saved it. Do you have any idea why?

Please provide a screenshot of the error message.

Here it is.

Unfortunately the expression will need to be much more complicated. So youโ€™ll need to use an expression like the below. I have tested it and it works well.

• [_THIS] is a special variable that refers to the value, text in this case, of the current column.
  • The MID() function picks off each single character by its position in the text.
  • NUMBER() will return zero if the character is alphabetic.
  • NUMBER() will also return zero if the value is number 0 so we explicitly do not allow zero in the first 4 positions but DO allow โ€œ0000000โ€ for the last 7.
AND(
    LEN([_THIS]) = 11,
    AND(NUMBER(MID([_THIS],1,1))=0, MID([_THIS],1,1) <> "0"),
    AND(NUMBER(MID([_THIS],2,1))=0, MID([_THIS],2,1) <> "0"),
    AND(NUMBER(MID([_THIS],3,1))=0, MID([_THIS],3,1) <> "0"),
    AND(NUMBER(MID([_THIS],4,1))=0, MID([_THIS],4,1) <> "0"),
    OR(NUMBER(RIGHT([_THIS],7)) > 0, RIGHT([_THIS],7) = "0000000")
)

I would also recommend including a custom error message for when the format is invalid. An example might be:

"Correct format is 'xxx0000000' - 11 characters with 4 letters followed by 7 numbers"

Customer Message Goes Here:

Message Shows like this
2X_f_f975341cff63cfc8b570b8fba4a1319e5861ca15.png

Hi @WillowMobileSystems,

Yours is a nice, compact expression.

Just in case the first 4 alphabets need to exclude the special characters also , then following approach may be tried. The approach is made up of two columns

The valid_if expression in the container number column is as below

AND(LEN([_THIS])=11, IN(MID([_THIS],1,1),[VerifyList]), IN(MID([_THIS],2,1),[VerifyList]), IN(MID([_THIS],3,1),[VerifyList]), IN(MID([_THIS],4,1),[VerifyList]), NUMBER(RIGHT([_THIS],7))<>0)

Here the [Verifylist] is a list type VC with following expression. This VC works as alphabet validation reference for the valid_if expression mentioned above
LIST(โ€œAโ€,โ€œBโ€,โ€œCโ€,โ€œDโ€,โ€œEโ€,โ€œFโ€,โ€œGโ€,โ€œHโ€,โ€œIโ€,โ€œJโ€,โ€œKโ€,โ€œLโ€,โ€œMโ€,โ€œNโ€, โ€œOโ€,โ€œPโ€,โ€œQโ€,โ€œRโ€,โ€œSโ€,โ€œTโ€,โ€œUโ€,โ€œVโ€,โ€œWโ€,โ€œXโ€,โ€œYโ€,โ€œZโ€)

Used string length validation expression suggested by you and numerical digits verification expression suggested by @steve ((NUMBER(value) <> 0))

Some very good points!

li_Hua

Thank you for all your help!

It would be very convenient to have an โ€œinput maskโ€ option. Where you will filter the data capture. For example 3 numbers 4 letters and 3 numbers.
000LLLL000
Like Microsoft Access does.

Top Labels in this Space