Dear AppSheet, Is there any way to filter a ...

Dear AppSheet,

Is there any way to filter a table before downloading to CSV? I see that one can control which columns are exported by creating a slice, but although I filter the table using LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW, the Export to CSV dumps all rows in the table. Not what I would have expected.

My table has a batch number column. Iโ€™d like to be able to export only those rows with a particular batch number, for import into another system. Is there currently any way to do this?

I think this is similar to the questions from Warang L and Sabio Soporte.

Thanks!

2 10 1,093
10 REPLIES 10

Hi @Hopp_Karla,One approach is to create a slice

on the table where it filters the rows by the batch number(s) you want.

A sample app mentioned below does something similar. It downloads in CSV the CarSales reports by the quarter.

appsheet.com - Sales Report - A sales reporting app with Dashboard and Deck views of sales data grouped by time, person and vehicle type. Sales Report - A sales reporting app with Dashboard and Deck views of sales data grouped by time, person and vehicle type. appsheet.com

You could ask the batch# with the usersettings for your slice and then you could control it better.

in action of the type: โ€œExport this view to a CSVโ€ we can only use TABLES and dont SLICES @Aleksi_Alkio

@Suvrutt_Gurjar I had taken a look at that Car Sales app. Unfortunately, they arenโ€™t filtering by rows in any of the csv downloads. For the export by make, they dump the entire contents of the CarSales table, and for the quarterly reports, theyโ€™ve denormalized the table so that by selected only certain columns, it filters by quarter (but this isnโ€™t filtering the rows). Thanks for your suggestion though.

@Aleksi_Alkio I wonder if you could explain a bit more what you mean. I had been wondering if there was some way I could allow the user to select the batch (ideally from a table of available batches), save the id for the selected batch somewhere (either to a user prefs table I create in our database, or in the AppSheet user settings), and then use that batch in a security filter on a read only version of the table. However, I donโ€™t know how to save that selected batch. Any wisdom?

@jader_james Hello, I realize this is the defined functionality right nowโ€ฆsince you canโ€™t select a slice in setting up the CSV download action. It is a shame though, and something I think need to be added. Itโ€™s not very useful to have to dump the entire table. @Aleksi_Alkio

@Aleksi_Alkio So it does work if I add a user settings field that is a ref to batches, then create a read only copy of the table I wish to export with a security filter based on the batch saved in the user setting. This seems so very clunky though. A lot of clicks and not very intuitive to the user. Do you know whether AppSheet has any plans to allow the use of slices in the CSV export function?

Another vote for this functionality. Just exporting a slice to CSV.

Agreed.

I have invoices, which are linked to individual bills, which reference job details. I have created a filteredview action to show job details from the invoice and want to be able to export just those rows. I donโ€™t think thereโ€™s any practical workaround using slices.

Seems like this would be a simple enough and really useful function, no?

Yeah, is this ever gonna happen?

Top Labels in this Space