December 15, 2021

Deployment Time: 12:00 PM PST

Features & enhancements

Item Description
Enhancement Removing the old way of transferring an app

You can no longer transfer an app to another author using their email and ID. Instead, a co-author must request a transfer that is then approved by the author. For more information, see Transfer an App Between Users or Accounts. This update has been deployed to 50% of free users.

Bug fixes

Item Description
Bug Fixed two small issues with Insert as List issues on the Data Explorer. The final Insert as List button would render downwards and be unclickable. Hovering off of it wouldn't close the dropdown.

Rollout changes

Item Description
Bug When quick edit is enabled in Table views, the scroll position of the table is not preserved and it jumps to the top.

New: Deployed to 100% of free users and 50% of premium users.
Previous: Deployed to 100% of free users and 25% of premium users

Bug TEXT function should more consistently return "0" for 0 values.

New: Deployed to 100% of free users and 75% of premium users.
Previous: Deployed to 100% of free users and 25% of premium users.

Preview announcements

The AppSheet Preview program lets app creators try out new app features that are not yet fully supported. Learn how to participate in the AppSheet preview program for app client features.

• No new preview features were released today.

What's currently available in the Preview program?

Item Description
Feature Table view

Table View now supports freezing the first column while scrolling horizontally. For details, see Freezing the first Column of a Table View - in Preview Program.

Feature Chart Editor

App Creators can now make use of our new chart editor and the new and improved charts it can create. Learn more.

Feature Detail views

Rich text formatting is now available in Detail views. For details, see this announcement in the community.

2 Likes

I used this fairly regularly. Why was this functionality removed?

5 Likes

Agreed. The Author must list the intended transferee as a co-author FIRST and then the co-author must submit a request. This doesn’t really make sense for a situation where an Author wants to transfer ownership to someone who wasn’t a co-author in the first place. Why not support both?

3 Likes

We’re introducing dual party verification and removing the previous way of transferring an app. This is not only part of improving the app transfer experience, but maintaining the standard of security anticipated from a Google product. We understand that it may be an easier way to transfer apps at this time, but with Google’s zero-trust approach to security, we are solving for possible use cases such as sending an app to someone who isn’t a co-author without their consent and transferring to a co-author without their consent.

6 Likes

Got it, makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

3 Likes

:man_facepalming:t2:

Will you be able to remove apps that have been shared with you that you no longer require?

3 Likes

Then wouldn’t it make MUCH more sense to require that transferee - whether a co-author or not - to consent before transferring ownership? REQUIRING the co-author to initiate the transfer request just doesn’t make sense. It’s like having someone, you just met, knock on your door and say, “Sell me your house!”.

My point is, I think it should be up to the Author to initiate a transfer request. They need to make that conscious decision they are ready to give up the app. Then, for purposes of zero-trust, it is a decision of the co-author (or other party) to accept or not.

The issue I am envisioning, since security is the core concern, is a citizen developer starts an app and then realizes they need help and acquires assistance from a person they list as a co-author. Co-author sends a transfer request and the Author, not completely up to speed on AppSheet and maybe in a rush, agrees. The Author has just lost control of the app to someone they really don’t know and may not be what they wanted. AppSheet can put up all the warnings they want but we all know, when in a rush, we are likely not going to completely absorb those messages!

The Author should be protected and never placed in this position. I feel a transfer request should ALWAYS be initiated from the Author/App Owner. There is less chance of accidental transfer of ownership.

2 Likes

It would make sense to add an “accept app” from the receiver maintaining the way the process has been instead of making it the other way around.
At least add multi-account support for the AppSheet Editor since now I would need to log in and log out on two accounts just to move an app from one of my creator accounts to the other

1 Like

You can use “profiles” in your web browser, saves you a lot of time if you use to work with many apps in different accounts

2 Likes