Deck View - Allow user control over width of Summary field

The default width of the Summary field is limiting. There is usually, in my experience, room for more info in this space as the Primary Header doesn’t normally take up the entire row even on the smallest of screen sizes. For example, if I try to use totals as the summary, say for an order record (reasonable summary data, right?), if the values get in the tens of thousands, they get truncated because the default width is not sufficient.

Having wider Summary fields, suddenly opens it up to a wide variety of usages. By allowing user specified widths, control is in the developers hands as which field displays its entire value - Primary Header or Summary.

Status Not Planned
19 9 827
9 Comments
Lynn
Gold 1
Gold 1

If the summary field was expanded to 8 digits we could fit in a date or unique ID

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Please fix this. This is end user consumed information and they are the ultimate customers for AppSheet as well as us developers. It is important that the UI be pristine to compete with other vendors. When something as simple as a summary field cannot display the important information a customer needs, they lose faith and seek solutions elsewhere.

My original request is to give developer control over the width of this column/field. I still believe that is the best option but understand that is more labor intensive.

In the meantime, please at least expand the static width of this field. Attempts to get data to fit by removing dollar signs and/or decimals or reducing the text size just simply is not good user experience.

I think the field size should be able to accommodate currency amounts in the hundreds of thousands - $ 999,999.99 - at the “normal” font size. Larger amounts can then be displayed in Thousands, Millions, etc and would be more palatable for end consumers. This should also provide ample space for dates with slashes. Wider is better IMHO - even up to 50% of the line.

Example bad display from editor - Note that on an iPhone 7 I see even less!!

2X_2_227ea24a1c34ca4dd116800075765cafe4d4b2a7.png

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I’d like to bubble this back up to the top again. The limitations on the size of the Summary field are a bit…frustrating and reduces capabilities of the Deck View.

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Voted

kambwili
Silver 1
Silver 1

I’m surprised this request doesn’t have more traction.

On some devices, the date in the summary field appears as 04/05/20… It feels like the truncated 21 is basically the same width as the ellipsis. The summary field could definitely use more real estate, even if it’s just a little more.

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Improvements to the Summary field width in the Deck View have been made. See the link below.

THIS feature request concerns user CONTROL over the width - which I strongly believe is still needed since the Primary Header and the Summary field are on the same view display row. Users, or at least Developers, need the ability to control, per view, the width of one - allowing the remaining row width to go to the other. This will provide for developer/user choice how the data is actually visualized.

The best choice is to allow the end user to set the width from the view itself and then that setting is “remembered” until changed again.

Below is an example, where the Primary header is truncated though there is still room for more to be displayed. A browser version shows the view just before truncation and after.

Emulator view

Browser - Shrunk to smallest width where entire Primary Header can be seen

Browser - Slightly smaller width truncates Primary Header though plenty of room to display

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: Not Planned
Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

@WillowMobileSys  from our Product Team: Our philosophy does not steer us toward giving app creators pixel-by-pixel design controls, so this functionality is not planned at this time. 

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

@Roderick 

Thanks for passing along the information.  And I am glad to see there is some attention happening with these older items.

I believe there has been some adjustments to the Summary field since this post was originally submitted so this particular request is no longer as important as it once was.

I am a little disappointed in the wording of the response.