Delivery App with SMS back to App

TJCobb

I’ve created a delivery app for our company. The driver gets a text message when a new delivery is entered. Everything is working great except for one tiny little thing. I’m having difficulty trying to figure out how the driver can click a link in the message to either a) go to the app, or b) go directly to the record. Either one is fine.

I’ve gone through and read every “SMS”, “SMS Template”, “Workflow” discussion and AppSheet documentation I could find and I’m not seeing a general step-by-step guide how to put the pieces together. I know, I know, stop laughing, there’s probably no step-by-step guide. But still. I get that there’s a template that gets stored on my Google Drive. But I’m wondering if someone can just supply a screenshot of a template that does exactly what I’m looking for from their app. That’s all I need. Hopefully, once I see it, everything will just click <<< no pun intended.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

1 7 291
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @TJCobb

Have you looked at:

To go to the app you could use a deeplink like: LINKTOAPP(<>)

Sample app https://www.appsheet.com/samples/How-to-link-between-different-parts-of-an-app?appGuidString=102df0e...

Hi James, thank you for the reply. I can see how LINKTOAPP works within an Action. I’m just not sure how to make it work within the context of a SMS. Can you (or anyone) share a screenshot of how to get a text message to link back to the app?

I’ve tried using LINKTOROW( row-key , view-name [ , app-id ] ) per the link you provided above, substituting my info of course, and placing it into a txt document on Google Docs, then linking it as a template. I’m just not sure if it needs html code, or whatever, which is why I’d like to see a sample.

Thank you again for your time. I appreciate it.

Hi TJ,

Have you tried using a hyperlink:

Blockquote{
“country”: “1”,
“message”: “SMS MESSAGE”,
“messageFormat”: 1,
“addresseeList”: [
{
“mobile”: “PHONE”,
“correlationLabel”: “Chatiemos”,
“url”: “https://wa.me/<>?text=HOW ARE YOU DOING”
},
]
}

I am using this to send sms, it has a url that is sent. You could use EncodeUrl to points to the form.

Hi James,

I have not tried that but I will. Thank you for your time. It’s much appreciated.

i had a similar situation and ended up using.
<<_ROW_WEB_URL>>

i have 2 text messages…1st is notifying what was submitted
and 2nd is just
<<_ROW_WEB_URL>>

the link is long and you are limited so can’t have too many characters

<<_ROW_WEB_URL>> creates a too long string for a SMS message and provided user’s courier truncates the SMS (normally it shall be 160 chars long including spaces and punctuations etc.), the URL link will not work. Therefore I may advise using a URL shortener service as a REST API i.e Bitly

Has onyone been succesful in getting this to work?

Top Labels in this Space