Dereference vs Worflow: Two tables, Equipment tb 1 updated, when Inspection tb 2 takes place

Tuskan

Trying to figure out whether using a dereference or creating an action to update one table from another table is better.

I have two tables,

1. Equipment
  2. Inspections.

Currently as an inspection takes place, [Date Inspected] and [Next Inspection] related to a specific [Equipment ID], columns are added to new inspection row, this happens for every new inspection and a row is added. However I want to also have these new dates for the relevant Equipment ID ie [Previous Inspection] and [Next Inspection], update and show in the Equipment table too.

Thus I can either create a dereference to the most recent inspection for that [Equipment ID] (not sure of a formula for this on the dereference formula input, it would need some sort of constraint for the most recent inspection/row for that specific Equipment ID). (might affect sync time)

Option 2, is to create a workflow update each time an inspection related to a particular [Equipment ID] takes place, it updates the [Previous Inspection] Date & [Next Inspection] date in the Equipment table for those two columns too. I prefer option 2.

However the issue I am experiencing, is that I have to create two actions for the workflow. The workflow,

picks up when an inspection row is added, then triggers an action related to โ€œInspectionsโ€ (because it does not seem to let you trigger an action from a different table ie Equipment) , that then triggers a trigger related to equipment to then update the dates in the Equipment table. However it updates all the equipment dates instead of the one that relates to the specific [Equipment ID] related to the new inspection row added.

any input or better way of doing this would be appreciated, thank in advance.

Solved Solved
0 2 187
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I believe you may create Referenced rows expression as

SELECT(Equipment[Equipment ID], [Equipment ID]=[_THISROW].[Equipment ID]) in โ€œInspection Update Trigger (Inspections)โ€ action.

Also instead of workflow, is it possibe for you to trigger the โ€œInspection Update Trigger (Inspections)โ€ action as an evernt action on inspections form save ?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

I believe you may create Referenced rows expression as

SELECT(Equipment[Equipment ID], [Equipment ID]=[_THISROW].[Equipment ID]) in โ€œInspection Update Trigger (Inspections)โ€ action.

Also instead of workflow, is it possibe for you to trigger the โ€œInspection Update Trigger (Inspections)โ€ action as an evernt action on inspections form save ?

Tuskan

This worked 100%, thanks again for the awesome help @Suvrutt_Gurjar !

Top Labels in this Space