Dereferences in inline form

tvinci

Hello AppSheet,

I would greatly appreciate it if a dereference such as [related Table][related Column] could be viewed as an inline list rather than just an incomprehensible string of UNIQUEID() key values. I’ve been told something for this is rolling out soon but I don’t know when and my app would greatly benefit from it.

The alternative is a SELECT() statement but I can’t figure out how to write a SELECT() statement as precise and specific as a dereference. So far all the SELECT() statements I’ve tried have returned too many values at once. Using the dereference as a condition rule returns an error.

Thank you.
Tiffany

Status Open
0 15 265
15 Comments
Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

What is an “inline form”?

What are you trying to do that you think would benefit from the list dereference?

tvinci

This would be an inline form

tvinci

I’m trying to show line items that correspond to a parent table.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Please post a screenshot of the affected column’s configuration with the list dereference in place.

tvinci

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Please post a screenshot of the affected column’s configuration with the list dereference in place.

tvinci

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

That is a “Table View” - though it may be seen “inline;” a form is a specific type of view where data entry occurs. (Just fyi )

Are these the correct keys for the associated related delineated locations?

MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

FYI: many times the resultant type from using a list dereference will be “text.”

For example: say I have a parent table (Employee) with a related child table (TimeRecords), inside which I have a column that’s a reference to another table (Project).

If I use a list dereference on the parent table to pull out all the related projects from an employees TimeRecords, in a virtual column (that I would called “Employee_TimeRecord_Projects”) I would use a formula like this:

[Related TimeRecords][TimeRecord_Project]

The resultant list will have a type of text - which is what I think you’re seeing @tvinci.

To see that text list as an inline view (like the table you’re wanting)

you have to create a display column that has the appropriate type; this is easily done by creating a SELECT() formula like this:

SELECT(Projects[ProjectID], in[ProjectID], [_thisrow].[Employee_TimeRecord_Projects]))

Putting this formula in a virtual column would result in a list column type with a Ref base type - which gives you your inline table view like you’re wanting.

tvinci

Thank you @MultiTech_Visions

So I think this Spec indicates that Route is the parent, Clipboard is the child and I have a column that references delineatedLocations, right?

I will try what you suggested.

tvinci

Here is what happened. I also tried changing ‘IN’ to ‘Clipboard’ or ‘Routes’ but nothing happens.

tvinci

I tried this too but the column won’t show up.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4
tvinci

oh I was confused because square [ brackets were used, not round ( parentheses

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager