Disable back arrow

Unless I’m mistaken, we cannot disable the back arrow. On my app, there is at least one “detail” view where disabling of the back arrow would have the following advantages:

• Prevent or discourage the user from returning to the previous view, which would display data that has become outdated as a result of the user’s last action.
  • Display the hamburger menu bars in the spot where the arrow would be, enabling easier navigation to other menus.

If I am mistaken and it is already possible to do what I am thinking of, please let me know. I’ve tried to look through previous discussions but was unable to find this question.

Status Not Planned
19 11 1,035
11 Comments
Aleksi
Staff

No, we don’t have that option. If we would have, it would be just a theoretical benefit because you can do the same with the device’s back button.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

OK. Thanks! But, as I wrote, there would be one more benefit: immediate access to the hamburger menu.

Aleksi
Staff

That’s true

Penny_G

This issue makes my app not usable because I lose the corresponding status.

It is not a theoretical benefit. It is a usability issue. Having the Back button on the app is an invitation for the user to use it. Very bad usability.

The Back button on the device is only visible in a browser not in the app. People are used to seeing the back button on the browser and know very well that it is not part of the app navigation.

Saying this is a theoretical benefit tells me you are not a UX expert.

Juan_Camilo_Sie
Silver 1
Silver 1

Yes, I’m losing some data in the actual form, because when the user clicks on it, id doesn´t ask if they are sure to go out like in the “Cancel” button, So they lost the information in the form

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

peverhart
Bronze 1
Bronze 1

The back arrow provides a workaround to my workflow - I need my users to navigate via actions so that values are updates as the users move about the app.  

Status changed to: Not Planned
Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

If I recall correctly from my mobile app development days many years ago, mobile app stores have criteria that all apps listed on their store should follow. Having a back button was one of them for apple app store (this may not be the case these days though).

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

This proposal has been shelved (put on "NOT PLANNED" status) but I'd like to request reconsideration.  I'm not requesting that the back button be completely removed but just that we be allowed to disable it in contexts where it doesn't make sense or is not desirable.  Is it really the case that the mobile app stores would object if app builders were able to CHOOSE when to and when not to display the back button?

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Could I request that this be changed from the negative "Disable back arrow" to the more positive "Control back arrow."  The point that the back arrow cannot be completely disabled makes sense to me.  But, I'd like to point out that, even currently, the back arrow is NOT ALWAYS shown. For example, if one navigates away from a detail view by tapping on the bottom menu, no back arrow is displayed.  So, even currently, the back arrow seems to be considered to be appropriate in some contexts but not in others.  Couldn't we have some control over those contexts?  Or, because the back arrow replaces the hamburger (which takes one to the side menu), perhaps you could let us force the display of the hamburger (along side the back arrow if necessary).  Any chance of reconsideration?