Disabling dependant dropdown auto-show_if

I’m setting up a table with 5 main columns.
1 is an EnumList, Ref base type
The other 4 are selections for the user to filter down the reference list.
These 4 are Enums with Valid_If expressions to generate lists from 4 different columns in the referenced table.

If I select something from one of the 4 dropdowns, I of course want the other dropdowns filtered, which is automatically done via Appsheet’s “dependent dropdown” feature.

However, I want all 4 columns to be visible from the start, and the user doesn’t need to select something from the 4 columns if they don’t want. The dependent dropdown feature hides all subsequent columns until something in selected in the previous column.

2X_a_a3794176d5c1d83b6280a8e0c25231a7b6429fa3.png
2X_8_8560e43f35dae5518b691e324e3cd6ef5727fbef.png

So I replaced the basic Valid_If = Table[Column] expression, with a SELECT(Table[Column] , TRUE), which disables the dependent dropdown feature. And surprisingly, this is actually detailed in the Appsheet help article, wow!

But this not only disabled the column hiding, it also disabled the filtering. So I guess now I’m stuck with writing big multi-condition select expressions for each column?

I would like to somehow be able to disable the hiding of subsequent fields when using Appsheet’s dependent dropdown.

Status Open
1 7 1,156
7 Comments
Aleksi
Staff

Yes you need to create quite long SELECT formulas and if there are no values, it should hide that field.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

What is the feature request here?

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

To somehow be able to disable the hiding of subsequent fields when using Appsheet’s dependent dropdown.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Did you try setting Show? to the expression, TRUE?

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I did, no luck

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I just ran into another situation where I want to turn off this auto-hiding part of dependent dropdowns. Different app, different situation.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager