Disconnecting ux view from underlying data model

Daniel_Turner
Participant III

There are certain data that I know how I would optimally model in our database. As a hypothetical example, pretend I have a parent table A with child tables B, C, and D. Letโ€™s assume this is the optimal model for this data.

In appsheet, I know I can use ref rows in tables B, C and D to point to A. In the view for A, we will see the columns that list the related entries from B C and D.

If a user adds an entry in A, they can add the entry and then add child entries in the columns that point to B, C and D. But (and I now I am actually getting to the question), it is a little cumbersome as a user, sometimes, to enter child entries. I mean that, even though this may be the optimal data model, it is not the optimal UX model.

There is no way to make child entries look like there are normal columns in the parent table, correct? I am wondering if I am not taking advantage of all of the capabilities AppSheet ux? I usually just use table views. Is there a way to not have the UX so tightly coupled to the data model?

0 1 120
1 REPLY 1

Steve
Participant V

You could use virtual columns to duplicate data from one table in another.

The only view type that isnโ€™t directly tied to some underlying table or slice is the dashboard view.

See also:

Top Labels in this Space