Display Value

Similar to how you can assign a Display Name for a column that shows instead of the column name, I’d like to be able to specify a Display Value.

Example:
Say I have a table of contracts, each with a contract ID, like “122”,“133”,“144”.
But I want these contract ID values to be displayed as “C-122” , “C-133” , “C-144”

So for the Display Value field I would enter: “C-” & [_THIS]

Obviously I could create another column to just concatenate a “C-” onto the id, but that seems unnecessary. I also think this kind of value “formatting” is similar to how assigning a column type as Price puts a dollar sign in front, or how we can turn on or off the thousands separator on a Number column, or set the number of decimal places on a Decimal column.

Status Open
14 10 420
10 Comments
Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

This would also be helpful for the often-requested displaying of decimals values in different ways, like cutting off “.00” when the decimal portion is not used, or limiting the display to a certain number of decimal points, while still retaining the full decimal precision in the actual data.

That would be awesome, it really opens up the possibilities for using Appsheet as a tool for making more complex and precise calculations, while keeping it simple without all the sometimes innecesary decimal zeros.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

@Marc_Dillon @Rafael_ANEIC-PY

Let me join and delegate the feature request here, as I placed the request where the requirement could be the same. I really need this basic feature indeed .

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

2 unfulfilled features requests from Jan 2020, of extremely similar nature. Strange.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Now aggregated and delegated. Will see.

HBT
Silver 4
Silver 4

+1

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Buuuuuuuump.

This would also be helpful to format DateTime values on the fly:

TEXT( [_THIS] , "yyyy-mm-dd" )
Darmund
Silver 1
Silver 1

I think this feature could also be used to solve this common problem: How to format date but sort as normal date

As of now, it is almost impossible to format a date to start with the weekday or month, but still sort chronologically. The user of the above post marked it as solved but the issue actually wasn’t completed because they had to lose the weekday formatting.

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager