Distance filter offline

I have created a map of previous reports that are within 0.5 KM of a reporter’s location. The formula I’m using as a filter works fine, but only after the app is synced. Most of the time reporters won’t have reception because they are in the wilderness, so sync likely won’t work. How can I make this work without a sync? Or does the Distance formula only work on the AppSheet server?

Thanks
Bob

0 5 429
5 REPLIES 5

Yes, I think you’re correct. I’m assuming you are using the built-in distance function e.g. something like DISTANCE(HERE(), [LatLong])

For that to work, Here() needs to get your current location from the mobile device. And for that to work, your mobile device needs to allow location services and be able to get its own current location.

(Similarly, if you test with a web browser on a computer, Here() will likely return the LatLong of your nearest internet provider location).

My specific questions is: can I calculate DISTANCE without needing to SYNC? Sync is often not possible in the wilderness.

Yes I’m using this formula to create a slice: =DISTANCE(HERE(), [GPS Location])< 0.5

The inputs to DISTANCE are all available offline in my app because I’ve enabled the following: Delayed Sync, The app can start offline, and Store content for off-line use. I’m pretty sure HERE() works off-line and [GPS Location] from previous reports is available off-line.

Bob

I would think so, though I’ve never myself tried. What is the expression your filter uses?

=DISTANCE(HERE(), [GPS Location])< 0.5

My specific questions is: can I calculate DISTANCE without needing to SYNC? Sync is often not possible in the wilderness.

Yes I’m using this formula to create a slice: =DISTANCE(HERE(), [GPS Location])< 0.5

I believe inputs to DISTANCE are all available offline in my app because I’ve enabled the following: Delayed Sync, The app can start offline, and Store content for off-line use. I’m pretty sure HERE() works off-line and [GPS Location] from previous reports is available off-line.

Top Labels in this Space