Do virtual columns only recompute after the d...

Cory_Chapman
Participant II

Do virtual columns only recompute after the data syncs?

0 4 735
4 REPLIES 4

Cory_Chapman
Participant II

It seems that virtual columns with simple expressions for example col1 + col2 reevaluated immediately after pressing the save button but more complex expression using SELECT, MINROW or FILTER do change until after Sync. Is that correct?

In my experience, you can only expect virtual columns to update on a sync except for a row being edited (i.e. loaded in a form view), in which case virtual columns of that row are updated whenever the input field changes.

Keep in mind, too, that the only data changes your app will experience outside of a sync are due to user interaction. If the user takes no action to modify data, and the app hasnโ€™t synced, there is no impetus for virtual columns to update.

Of particular note, if you have any time-sensitive virtual columns, they will not be triggered solely by the passing of time.

Cory_Chapman
Participant II

I have the data below, [StateCount] is a virtual column with the formula: =COUNT(FILTER(Customers,[State] = [_THISROW].[State]))

When I edit of row 1 from MA to FL the state count doesnโ€™t change until after sync. I guess based on your previous comments this makes sense. I will have to go about this a different way. Thanks for your help.

[State]

[StateCount] MA

2 FL

3 MA

2 FL

3 NY

1 FL

Top Labels in this Space