Dynamic form with Show field

Hello,

I am trying to create a form with some Show fields configured as page_header.
I have several blocks of show fields followed by data fields.
I would like to see these blocks on the same page or on different pages depending a formula.
If configured as show_header, every blocks is on a different page, I have no clue if it is possible to change the layout depending a formula to have for example 2 blocks on the first page and 4 on the secondโ€ฆ
Any help will be very appreciated
Thank you very much

Best regards.

0 15 1,460
15 REPLIES 15

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

What is a โ€œblockโ€?

I believe heโ€™s referring to the grouping of a Header and its related fields as a single block.

I donโ€™t believe this is supported. A show field separates columns but there is no concept of grouping show and related columns and moving them around. Why do you need it this way?

a block is a group of few fields (5 in my app)
A show field with page header configuration group all the following fields, if you have a show if condition that hide the show field, all the following fields up to the next show will be hiddenโ€ฆ
The next show field will be displayed on the next pageโ€ฆ
Here I would like to play with the โ€œpage breakโ€ behaviour of the show fieldโ€ฆ

The ability to show & hide a โ€œblockโ€ using Show_If is limited to pages only; you cannot use Show_If to show & hide sections within a page, unfortunately.

To show & hide multiple columns within a single page (or across pages) according to a single condition, youโ€™d have to give each column the same Show_If expression.

In your original post:

It sounds like you may want the same column to appear on one page/section/block in some circumstances, but on another page/section/block in other circumstances. This isnโ€™t possible: a column can only occur in one location within a form.

Hi, thank you for your answers, I think I am not clear enough on what I want to do.
I will try to explain another wayโ€ฆ

if condition A
column 1 - show page header (page break)
column 2 - text field
column 3 - text field
column 4 - show page header (page break)
column 5 - text field
column 6 - text field

if condition B
column 2 - text field
column 3 - text field
column 4 - show section header (no page break)
column 5 - text field
column 6 - text field

in condition A, the fields are displayed on 2 pages,
in condition B, everything is display on the same page
Do you see a way of doing that ?

Thanks for your help

I donโ€™t see a way to do this. The occurrence of a show page header will grab all columns that follow up to the next show page header. Thereโ€™s no way to disable the show page header without also hiding everything on that page.

Unless you can determine condition A or B before entering the form. If so, you might be able to use an action to direct the user to a slice with the desired layout.

As righly guided by @Steve, there is no direct way to do this as per my understanding as well.

You may give the following workaround a try - it involves creation one more column, two slices and two views - one each for condition A and B.

New set of columns

column 2 - text field
column 3 - text field
column 5 - show section header (no page break) ( This is additional column that needs to be added)
column 7 - text field
column 8 - text field

Slice for condition A
This is a slice without any row filter conditions , just one less column-5
(Exclude column 5 -section header in this slice)
column 2 - text field
column 3 - text field
column 7 - text field
column 8- text field

Slice for condition B
This is a slice without any row filter conditions , just one less column-4
(Exclude column 4- page header in this slice)
column 2 - text field
column 3 - text field
column 5 - show section header (no page break) ( This is additional column)
column 7 - text field
column 8 - text field

Then please create two form views on these two slices and use โ€œShow_ifโ€ condition setting of those views to show the views alternately on condition A for view with first slice and condition B for view with second slice.

@Suvrutt_Gurjar Are you implying the โ€œadditional columnsโ€ are Text columns used as the โ€œSection Headerโ€? Maybe a read only Text column with UX Format Rules applied?

Hi @WillowMobileSystems,
The additional column is of show type and category of section header.

There is only one additional column at position 5, I mean after column (number) 4 of page header type.

Oh right. Iโ€™ve never used the Section header and forgot they were even there. But thatโ€™s why we have a Community!!

I fully agree with you- this is a great community. We all get lot of of insights on a daily basis.

I would like to thank you puting your brains in stress to help me resolving this challenge.

@Suvrutt_Gurjar it is a great idea but I have 50 blocks of 4/5 columns, so il will multiply the number of slices !

Thanks for your help

Hi @Pascal_Hierckens,

Thank you for the update. Yes, you are correct. I agree that it is impractical to have so many slices and condition combinations in views.

Hi @Pascal_Hierckens,

Just thought of mentioning a point that more than number blocks, I believe number of possible conditions will decide how many slices you need. If you need to manage say 4 different combinations, then you will need 4 slices and views. Of course , if you have as many multiple conditions as blocks, then the approach is not feasible.

Top Labels in this Space