Dynamic/Responsive Update of Child Column

Robb

Hi guys! This is my first post, apologies if the format is confusing or if this has been answered several times, don’t seem to find the answer I’m looking for.

Ok, (see below mini-test-case) so I’ve put together a mini test case of what I’ve been able to achieve thus far, works somewhat smoothly for the current appsheet capabilities. I digress…

What I’m hoping is for an expert to review and perhaps suggest/advise - Can virtual columns be stored in the data file without the need to swap make it a data column? (that would just defeat the purpose of what I’m trying to achieve) OR can I use Send an Email with PDF attachment that contains virtual column variables?

[[[[MINI-TEST-CASE]]]]

PARENT TABLE:

• COLUMN [CHOICE] TYPE TEXT

• SUGGEST FIELD WITH LIST(1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
      UX SET COLUMN [CHOICE] TO QUICK EDIT IN DETAIL VIEW.
  • COLUMN [Parent_Data_Column]
    - Create a behaviour, for record table PARENT

• Do this - Data: set the value of some columns in this row*
  • >> [Parent_Data_Column]  +1*

• SET CONDITION

• [_THISROW_BEFORE].[Choice] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[Choice]

CHILD REFERENCED TABLE:

*Virtual Column [PARENT CHOICE], type TEXT

• FORMULA Parent[CHOICE]

This will successfully update the child column “Parent Choice” with the value of “Choice” in parent table, after the app saves itself of course.

----ACTUAL USE CASE-----
The actual use case is for a quote tool:
Parent hosts: Name, Job Name, Address, Category (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
Child hosts: Job Name, Measurement Name, Width, Height, VirtualPrice

Column Category of Parent, is a quick edit, allowing user to select 1>7.
e,g When Category Parent set to 1, Show Child VirtualPrice $1
When Category Parent set to 2, Show Child VirtualPrice $2

The VirtualPrice is coming from a pricing matrix table, that uses ANY(SELECT(AND coupled with [_THISROW] to ensure correct values are returned. That’s all fine.

My issue in summary, I’d like to store the relative/dynamic values of VirtualPrice.

Thoughts?

0 4 155
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @Robb, welcome to the appsheet community !

No, that’s why they are “virtual” after all, since they don’t exist physically in your data source.

Yes, you could.

If you intend to use the stored value of VirtualPrice for using it in a workflow template, you could just load that expression on the workflow template itself and save yourself having to constantly update the column.

Thanks @Rafael_ANEIC-PY
Updating the column Category is a tool for user to show customer price difference between choosing a fabric of category 1 or say category 6… that’s why the change is needed dynamically.

I understand, but for the purpose of showing it inside an app a virtual column works fine, there’s no need to have it in a physical column in that case.

I guess the end case is, if customer happy, send email quote to customer containing those prices. you did mention virtual columns can be used as variables in a pdf… I’ll give that a go! thanks again

Top Labels in this Space