Dynamic Sort - Table View

Would really like a custom sort, maybe that only takes some weird ORDERBY. It’s been asked for plenty, and would really open up some options.

Status Open
4 4 278
4 Comments
WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

By custom or dynamic sort, do you mean having the ability to specify what order the values in the sort list are sorted - i.e. instead of ascending or descending?

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

Yep…

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

I guess this request is close enough to what I’m wanting that I shouldn’t make another.

What I’d like to see is not a replacement of the Ascending/Descending selection, but rather an expression field in place of the column selection. The value returned by the custom expression (which could just be a column value), for each record, will be subjected to the selected Ascend/Descend Sort order.

Though I do recognize the fact that this may not be optimal performance-wise in many cases, as this expression would have to run on every record, every time a user navigates to the view, just like format rules. In certain cases, would probably still be better to hold the calculated Sort value in a real column.

I’d also like to see the same expression field in place of the column selection for Grouping. This would allow grouping by a column in a referenced table, without having to add a new column in the first table to unnecessarily hold the de-ref’d value.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager