Editable table with user email filter -- How to also show view-only list of all records?

Thanks to any assistance / rationalizing on this!

Scenario: 1000 records, 50 users. Each user has 20 records assigned to them via email. Today I can either filter on that email condition (or I can create a slice with that filter, and have no other views to the records). This works perfectly - I can limit the user to only edit โ€œtheirโ€ record.

Question: How do I create an โ€œAll Recordsโ€ view that allows a user to see all 1000 records, but not edit any outside of the 20 assigned?

Ideally, we would have chunks of users who are not โ€œassignedโ€ to an entry via email, but should have Read Only rights.

I feel like Iโ€™m missing a configuration, any guidance is appreciated.

-B

Solved Solved
0 7 1,261
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Bahbus

Define each columnโ€™s editable property to be if USERNAME()=[Assigned User]

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Bahbus

Define each columnโ€™s editable property to be if USERNAME()=[Assigned User]

This sounds exactly itโ€ฆ when you say editable property, do you mean the โ€œFormulaโ€ in a tableโ€™s column view?

In each columns settings:
2X_6_6cbd34374f6da50f4ae1ee15f38bc25196669f1d.png
or, at the table level:

(Iโ€™m just using the _RowNumber column as an example)

Click the chemistry looking icon to put a formula there to decide if and when it is editable. The formula must evaluate to TRUE (yes) or FALSE (no).

Woooowโ€ฆthank you. Iโ€™m embarrassed to admit how many times I scrolled right past that flask icon. I almost went back there thinking โ€œthereโ€™s no way thereโ€™s an icon to the rightโ€ and yup, sure enough.

Thanks again, marking as the solution. This changes everythingโ€ฆ I wasnโ€™t missing a piece of the puzzle, it was half the box.

One more question regarding best practices if you donโ€™t mind. Should I be setting this for all editable columns? Or can I set it FOR the whole table?

Iโ€™m thinking I can set it for the whole tableโ€™s formula in โ€œAre updates allowed?โ€ but not sure how to fix the syntax of the sample to say โ€œIf user matches email column, UPDATES ONLY, else read onlyโ€

SWITCH(USEREMAIL(),
โ€œuser1@mydomain.comโ€, โ€œUPDATES_ONLYโ€,
โ€œuser2@mydomain.comโ€, โ€œALL_CHANGESโ€,
โ€œREAD_ONLYโ€)

Thanks!

EDIT: Going to try:

SWITCH(USEREMAIL(),
โ€œ=[Email]โ€, โ€œUPDATES_ONLYโ€,
โ€œREAD_ONLYโ€)

That sets what each user is allowed to do at the TABLE level. So, for example, if you have a certain subset of data that no one is allowed to touch but YOU, then it would be beneficial to change it, but you canโ€™t access column data from here.

Understood, thanks! I think in summary - if I have a whole tableโ€™s worth of editable columns, and I want to make sure the only people who can edit them matches the email listed in that record, I have to set the editable formula you originally posted for each individual column.

No big deal to do them separately, just wasnโ€™t sure if there was a โ€œFor this whole table, only allow editing on fields with edit set to ON if the email column matches useremail()โ€ formula field.

Top Labels in this Space