Enum Column's (Auto-complete other values) - Push new values into type qualifier

If I’ve got an Enum (or EnumList) column that allows entries - I would like a way to automatically add new options added by users directly into the enum choices available inside the type qualifier settings for the Enum column.

For instance:

If I’ve got an Enum column with various values specified…

• and I’ve allowed people to enter other values,
    • and I’ve set things so the system remembers previous “new” values…

I want to push new options into the values listed inside the enum type qualifier.

I want the interactions of my users to change the actual setup of the app.

For Example

Let’s say while filling out the form, I decide to enter the status of “Duplicate” to one of the records (cause it’s a duplicate, and I don’t wanna delete it cause it might cause confusion for others… “Where did it go?!?”).

• I want a way to add that value into the official list…
    • inside the AppSheet editor.

This way any new options are now visible inside this page, and I can rearrange things as necessary.

3X_2_b_2bfc8a80b2588dcaabbd7da4864f37d6998e7252.gif

As it stands… whenever someone adds a new value, it’s only visible when viewed inside the form, and then it’s at the bottom of the list.

• And since, in this instance, I’m not using a formula to derive the values of the list… I can’t wrap anything in SORT() or ORDERBY()

This leaves me with a list of values (inside the dropdown of the enum column) that I’m unable to control the sort order of.

• If there was a way for the system to automatically push new values into the list of values specified for the type qualifier, I could then manage the order manually.

As always, thanks for considering
3X_d_5_d51363a862e7ab883241c312ac5d7f271579cdd3.gif

Status Open
1 3 321
3 Comments
Jonathon
Silver 5
Silver 5

You can build a list within the VALID_IF and arrange that as needed. In your example above, you would have

{
  "Planned",
  "Assigned",
  "...",
  "Expired",
  "Duplicates"
} + [_THIS]
MultiTech
Gold 4
Gold 4

My point with this request was to try and stay along the lines of the “no-code” idea. I wasn’t trying to use a valid if or suggested values… I wanted to use the in-house system for the enum.

• I was thinking users starting off would find this extremely handy.

But thanks for chiming in! @Jonathon
3X_c_8_c894633685b607dcad8bd19f28d5c98f0a09a31f.gif

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager