Explain why this is invalid

OR(
AND([current level]=1,[L1 Assessment Linked].[level 1 score]>94%, [L1 I-CAR Classes].[completed]>84%),
AND([current level]=2,[L2 Assessment Linked].[level 2 score]>94%, [L2 I-CAR Classes].[completed]>84%),
AND([current level]=3,[L3 Assessment Linked].[level 3 score]>94%, [L3 I-CAR Classes].[completed]>84%)
)

I am trying to say that when the Level is X, check that the following items are also true. I am using this for a format rule, so I need a boolean result. Are nested OR/AND functions not supported? I continue to be flummoxed by the spreadsheet-style logic used at times.

Solved Solved
0 12 466
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

12 REPLIES 12

Nested OR/AND functions are absolutely supported.

Your syntax looks fine. What exactly is the error?

It says expression invalid. Thatโ€™s it.

Break the expression down and test each part.
Put just
AND([current level]=1,[L1 Assessment Linked].[level 1 score]>94%, [L1 I-CAR Classes].[completed]>84%)
in the expression editor and test it. Or see if itโ€™s still giving an error. If no error, rinse and repeat with your 2nd AND, etc. This will help you debug what the actual issue is more succinctly.

Instead of saying >84%, use >0.84

Breaking it down, even just putting in:
AND([current level]=1,[L1 Assessment Linked].[level 1 score]>94%, [L1 I-CAR Classes].[completed]>84%)

Still yields the โ€œInvalid expression:โ€ error, without any further explanation from the system.
Changing it to a decimal creates new datatype mismatch errors because it expects % as the columns are of type โ€œpercentโ€โ€ฆ What am I doing wrong here?

Further, I broke it down further and got a little more feedback from the editor:
[L1 Assessment Linked].[level 1 score]>94%
Yields โ€œExpression โ€ฆ does not match the expected format of an AppSheet expressionโ€

โ€ฆWhatโ€™s the โ€œcorrectโ€ format? I have double-checked and the referenced column exists, is spelled correctly, and is of type โ€œPercentโ€โ€ฆ?

Did you notice @aleksiโ€™s post?

Yes, as I mentioned, that just creates more errors because Appsheet considered it a type mismatch because it expects percentages.

3X_0_c_0c7b374233378497fcbef9cd9210ee44d03c14b8.png

3X_0_2_0206db8eefc786f61804b617fd2ffdbf5c9568f7.png

3X_7_3_732ef4590ab060d5ffd9f7af7bf794839c98524e.png

Youโ€™re a gentleman and a scholar, Marc. Although Iโ€™d advise Appsheet to change their editor to be โ€œfriendlierโ€ in this case.

Got it fixed then? What ended up being the issue?

The silly leading zero before the decimal point.

Top Labels in this Space