Explanation on how to turn my Iterative logic into nesting formula

I have read many of the topics here and read through the amazing function documentation provided by AppSheet. I am getting stumped when trying to make my iterative logic work with nesting function.

I am creating an inventory management app for a rental company that I would like to be able to update the inventory of individual equipment pieces based on inventory SETS being โ€œreservedโ€. And keep track of how many available sets exists for each phrase.

Here is some background:

• My equipment corresponds to a particular 1) letter and 2) color. I have many equipments in stock of the same letter and color. For example, my equipment can be a Green H and I can have 2 in stock and 2 currently available.

• A set can have different and same equipment pieces. So a set may be a phrase spelling โ€˜COME PARTY WITH MEโ€™. So I would need to reserve 2 Green Eโ€™s, 2 Green Mโ€™s, 1 Green A, etc. when this set is selected. Multiple sets can be reserved at one time (as individual inventory allows)

• For perspective, there are over 1000 โ€œindividual equipmentโ€ pieces each with corresponding letters/characters, colors, and quantities.

I currently have three tables. One has the Individual inventory (EQUIP TABLE) (Color, letter, and quantity in stock) of each piece of equipment, one has the individual pieces that make up a set and the required quantity of that piece for that set (EQUIP SET CONT TABLE), and the final has the set reservations (THIS TABLE).

I am trying to calculate the value for total quantity of sets in stock for a particular color.
This is the written iterative logic:

FOR EACH LETTER
WHOSE [PART OF PACKAGE] ROW VALUE IN THE EQUIP SET CONT TABLE IS EQUAL TO THE [PACKAGE ID] ROW VALUE IN THIS TABLE,

FIND THE [LETTER] THAT HAS THE SAME [COLOR] ROW VALUE IN THIS TABLE AS THE [COLOR] ROW VALUE IN EQUIP TABLE,

AND IF FOR THAT ROW, THE [TOTAL QUAN] IN THE EQUIP TABLE IS GREATER THAN OR EQUAL TO THE [QUANTITY REQUIRED FOR SET] IN THE EQUIP SET CONT TABLE,

ADD THE ROW VALUE IN THE [QUANTITY REQUIRED FOR SET] IN THE EQUIP SET CONT TABLE TO THE [RESERVED QUANTITY] IN EQUIP TABLE,

RETURN THE NUMBER OF TIMES EVERY [REQUIRED QUANTITY OF LETTERS] IN THE SET CAN BE RESERVED FROM THE [INSTOCK QUANITITY] OF THE EQUIP TABLE.

[Represent Table Columns]

Can someone explain to me how to get started with this?

Solved Solved
0 1 220
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I would first recommend to add to your โ€œEquip Tableโ€ an [Available Quantity]. So [Available Quantity] = [Instock Quantity] - [Reserved Quantity].

When an Order is being placed, the Form checks ordered quantity against the [Available Quantity]โ€ฆNOT [Instock Quantity]. If not enough available, then the Form only allows a max of [Available Quantity].

Anytime an Order is saved, an action on Form Saved adjusts the Reserved amount. I would do this with a SUM() that recalculates the [Reserved Quantity] for each Letter/Color included in the Order based on all OPEN Order Items. By re-SUMMING the values, this has the benefit of auto-correcting any values that may have gotten out of sync.

When the Order is sent out, [Instock Quantity] is adjusted AND [Reserved Quantity] is re-calculated. In turn [Available Quantity] is automatically re-adjusted based on the App Formula re-firing upon changes made in the row.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

I would first recommend to add to your โ€œEquip Tableโ€ an [Available Quantity]. So [Available Quantity] = [Instock Quantity] - [Reserved Quantity].

When an Order is being placed, the Form checks ordered quantity against the [Available Quantity]โ€ฆNOT [Instock Quantity]. If not enough available, then the Form only allows a max of [Available Quantity].

Anytime an Order is saved, an action on Form Saved adjusts the Reserved amount. I would do this with a SUM() that recalculates the [Reserved Quantity] for each Letter/Color included in the Order based on all OPEN Order Items. By re-SUMMING the values, this has the benefit of auto-correcting any values that may have gotten out of sync.

When the Order is sent out, [Instock Quantity] is adjusted AND [Reserved Quantity] is re-calculated. In turn [Available Quantity] is automatically re-adjusted based on the App Formula re-firing upon changes made in the row.

Top Labels in this Space