Export csv

Participant I

When I export to CSV table, I see the keys in the “related column”.
Is it possible when I export a table to CSV to see the value from another column from the same table instead of the key column ?

Solved Solved
1 8 1,409
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MultiTech
Participant V

Hello @11179

Unfortunately, the CSV creation system literally just exports what’s inside the fields; so if you’re wanting to see the actual “user friendly” values in a field, you’ll need to include an additional field to contain them.

Thankfully there’s an easy way to accomplish this called: list de-reference.

create an additional virtual column, call it what you will (Related Park Names, or something) and use an app formula like this:

[Related Logs][Park Name]

This will create a list of all the park names - which will then be visible inside the CSV.

You’ll likely want to hide this new column, as it will only contain duplicate looking data in the app.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

MultiTech
Participant V

Hello @11179

Unfortunately, the CSV creation system literally just exports what’s inside the fields; so if you’re wanting to see the actual “user friendly” values in a field, you’ll need to include an additional field to contain them.

Thankfully there’s an easy way to accomplish this called: list de-reference.

create an additional virtual column, call it what you will (Related Park Names, or something) and use an app formula like this:

[Related Logs][Park Name]

This will create a list of all the park names - which will then be visible inside the CSV.

You’ll likely want to hide this new column, as it will only contain duplicate looking data in the app.

Thank you so much for the quick help!

You’re welcome

Hi @MultiTech @Koichi_Tsuji  is this still the case? Is a List Dereference the only way to get the Labels in a csv export? I saw this post where it says "when I use the CSV export action on my table, the CSV file includes the labels of the ref columns, not the keys."

https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/CSV-Export-View-Type/m-p/285516

@Fabian_Weller 

I did a quick experiment

• Exporting an EnumList (base type REF) produces a list of IDs
  • So the export is literally copying what's stored in the original cell - a list of IDs

https://youtu.be/xNWlEKXvxRw

(Oh how I long for the days back when we could watch videos directly inside the community)

Thank you very much @MultiTech 

So the only way to get the Labels is to add a VC with a formula like: [EnumList][Label]

So the only way to get the Labels is to add a VC with a formula like: [EnumList][Label]

Yes

----------------------------

But I would make this a physical column, so it doesn't add to your virtualization overhead.

My understanding is the label value will be exported to CSV instead of actual value sitting on the table in this case.

I think the problem is coming from the data field tyep of REF you are making to [Park Name].

Not sure your data schema overall, but it sounds like you are pulling the Park Name as text from other table.

On this LOG table, you create the virtual column in order to pull the name of the park from other table using deref.

[Park Name].[DataFieldNameStoringTheNameOfParkAstext]

Then set this virtual column as lable for the table of LOG.

After that, fire the action to export to CSV then you will see the park name.

For the moment, you should be seeing the list of ID for the park from park table, rather than IDs of Log table.

Top Labels in this Space