Expression Big Brain support

Good Afternoon All,

I’m having a little trouble wrapping my head around something, I know its probably simple but whatever, not for me right now for some reason,

Here’s is the Problem,

I have a Supplier Table & Product Table.

Supplier Table

Products Table

Product Table is a Child to Supplier Table.

I have a Daily Report(s)

They will send Alerts, and emails etc.

Now I only want to send an email if any of these statements are true. These are just some of them, there are allot more, I just need a concept to figure this out and I will do the rest myself

This is directly from my Email Report/Workflow

<<If: (Or(And([Product Specifications UTD] <> "Green",[Product Specifications UTD] <> "Blue"),And([Allergen Statements UTD] <> "Green",[Allergen Statements UTD] <> "Blue"),And([GRAS Statement UTD] <> "Green",[GRAS Statement UTD] <> "Blue"),And([Organic Certificate UTD] <> "Green",[Organic Certificate UTD] <> "Blue"),And([Gluten Free Certificate UTD] <> "Green",[Gluten Free Certificate UTD] <> "Blue"),And([NON GMO Statement UPD] <> "Green",[NON GMO Statement UPD] <> "Blue"),And([Kosher Certificate UTD] <> "Green",[Kosher Certificate UTD] <> "Blue"),And([Radiological Statement UTD] <> "Green",[Radiological Statement UTD] <>"Blue")))>>

The Above is all in my Products Table. If anyone of these products has any Documentation that is not Green or Blue, I need the Report to Fire.

How Do I Iterate through the products to See if this is the case?

Any Help would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Solved Solved
0 31 554
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Problem 1:

Condition expression:

OR(
  AND(
    IN([Third Party Certificates UTD], {"Red", "Yellow", "Black"}),
    OR(
      ISBLANK([LR Third Party Certificate]),
      ([LR Third Party Certificate] < (TODAY() - 14))
    )
  ),
  AND(
    IN([Proposition 65 UTD], {"Red", "Yellow", "Black"}),
    OR(
      ISBLANK([LR Proposition 65]),
      ([LR Proposition 65] <= (TODAY() - 14))
    )
  ),
  OR(
    ISNOTBLANK(
      SELECT(
        [Related Products][_ROWNUMBER],
        OR(
          AND(
            IN([Product Specifications UTD], {"Red", "Yellow", "Black"}),
            OR(
              ISBLANK([LR Product Specifications]),
              ([LR Product Specifications] <= (TODAY() - 14))
            )
          ),
          AND(
            IN([Allergen Statements UTD], {"Red", "Yellow", "Black"}),
            OR(
              ISBLANK([LR Allergen Statement]),
              ([LR Allergen Statement] <= (TODAY() - 14))
            )
          ),
          AND(
            IN([GRAS Statement UTD], {"Red", "Yellow", "Black"}),
            OR(
              ISBLANK([LR GRAS Statements]),
              ([LR GRAS Statements] <= (TODAY() - 14))
            )
          ),
          AND(
            IN([Organic Certificate UTD], {"Red", "Yellow", "Black"}),
            OR(
              ISBLANK([LR Organic Certificate]),
              ([LR Organic Certificate] <= (TODAY() - 14))
            )
          ),
          AND(
            IN([Gluten Free Certificate UTD], {"Red", "Yellow", "Black"}),
            OR(
              ISBLANK([LR Gluten Free Statement]),
              ([LR Gluten Free Statement] <= (TODAY() - 14))
            )
          ),
          AND(
            IN([NON GMO Statement UPD], {"Red", "Yellow", "Black"}),
            OR(
              ISBLANK([LR NON GMO Statement]),
              ([LR NON GMO Statement] <= (TODAY() - 14))
            )
          ),
          AND(
            IN([Kosher Certificate UTD], {"Red", "Yellow", "Black"}),
            OR(
              ISBLANK([LR Kosher Statement]),
              ([LR Kosher Statement] <= (TODAY() - 14))
            )
          ),
          AND(
            IN([Radiological Statement UTD], {"Red", "Yellow", "Black"}),
            OR(
              ISBLANK([LR Radiological Statement]),
              ([LR Radiological Statement] <= (TODAY() - 14))
            )
          )
        )
      )
    )
  )
)

Note how closely the expression matches the problem statement you put together for me.

Let’s see if that works before working on problem 2. Lemme know.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Bahbus

What’s the other color options besides green and blue?

Green = Good
Blue = Document not required
Red = expired,
Yellow = Expiry within the next 2 weeks
Black = No Documentation

I also Have columns for each document for [Last Requested on] if a document has already been requested within the past 2 weeks than it should not count towards being true for sending the report. I could easily implement this myself once i know how

Ok, I just wanted to check to see if there was literally one one other color, because it would be easier to check for it.

Try:
INTERSECT(LIST("Red", "Yellow", "Black"), LIST([Product Specifications UTD], [Allergen Statements UTD], ...))>0

Obviously finish filling in the second list with each of your columns to check.

wow never used this intersect before, if this works that would be cool.

So than On top of this I would Do all my other check correct? That’s what you mean by:
“Obviously finish filling in the second list with each of your columns to check.”

This would just be your workflow/report condition to see if you even need to run it. I only typed two column names into that second list, you’ll need to finish it with the other 6.

Otherwise all the function does is ask how many of any of the first list show up in the second list. And in the case of firing the email, you don’t care how many are true, or if there are any. You’re email template will take care of the rest in determining exactly what you are asking them for.

Im getting this Error

INTERSECT does not accept a list of list.

With this formula

INTERSECT(LIST("Red", "Yellow", "Black"), LIST([Related Products][Product Specifications UTD], [Related Products][Allergen Statements UTD]))>0

What does that mean?

I also Tried

INTERSECT(LIST("Red", "Yellow", "Black"), LIST([Related Products][Product Specifications UTD], LIST ([Related Products][Allergen Statements UTD])))>0

This doesn’t work either

Nor this

INTERSECT(LIST("Red", "Yellow", "Black"), LIST([Related Products][Product Specifications UTD]))

I think I see whats happening,

the Report will be firing from the Suppliers Table… which needs to see if any which one of the child products is in need of documentation for whatever reason.

I would not know how to implement this.

Im sorry if i Failed to specify this in my initial post. May change things.

OOOOOH. Yes, it does change things. Can’t take lists and put them in a list, unfortunately, but also makes sense. Give me a few minutes and I’ll come up with a new solution for from the suppliers. I probably didn’t pay attention when reading.

Bahbus

Try:

INTERSECT( LIST("Red", "Yellow", "Black"), 
   [Related Products][Product Specifications UTD] + 
   [Related Products][Allergen Statements UTD] + 
   *next list* + 
   *add more lists as needed* 
)>0

Assuming the lists are compatible with each other, which they should be, we just add them all together and check for any instances of the color options in question. Since, again, we don’t care at this point which list(s) contains the match.

wow, such a complex thing in my head with such a simple solution.
So the above outputs a list.
Am I correct to do this?

Count(INTERSECT( LIST("Red", "Yellow", "Black"), 
   [Related Products][Allergen Statements UTD]
))>0

Thanks

Oh, yeah. I keep forgetting to type the count at the beginning.

Should work. Let me know if not.

ok, so this is what I have as right now to see if any documentation is out of date,

OR(Count(INTERSECT( LIST("Red", "Yellow", "Black"), 
   [Related Products][Allergen Statements UTD]+
    [Related Products][GRAS Statement UTD]+
     [Related Products][Organic Certificate UTD]+
      [Related Products][Gluten Free Certificate UTD]+
       [Related Products][NON GMO Statement UPD]+
        [Related Products][Kosher Certificate UTD]+
         [Related Products][Radiological Statement UTD]

))>0,

and([Third Party Certificates UTD] <> "Green",[Third Party Certificates UTD] <> "Blue"),and([Proposition 65 UTD] <> "Green",[Proposition 65 UTD] <> "Blue")
)

the Third Party Certificates and Proposition 65 are directly tied to supplier so I did those this way. IS this the best way?

Also, now I need top check if a document needs attention, to only go true if that document hasn’t already been requested within the past 2 weeks.

Now If I think about this I kinda think I messed up, because If a document is expired, I need to check if a document hasn’t already been requested before giving the go ahead… Cant think of doing this with the intersect idea… but I didn’t even know about intersect so yeah… Definitely be using intersect mre in the future…

Supplier Table
[LR Third Party Certificate]<Today() + 14
[LR Proposition 65]<Today() + 14
[LR Product Specifications]<Today() + 14
[LR Allergen Statement]<Today() + 14
[GRAS Statements]<Today() + 14
[LR Organic Certificate]<Today() + 14
[LR Gluten Free Statement]<Today() + 14
[LR NON GMO Statement]<Today() + 14
[LR Kosher Statement]<Today() + 14
[LR Radiological Statement]<Today() + 14

In that case, you could add Third Party Certificates and Proposition 65 to the intersect with just a + LIST([Third Party Certificates UTD], [Proposition 65 UTD]).

Create a Yes/No column for if a request has gone out called like [Request Sent]. Set up an action to set the column to TRUE when a request has gone out. You can even attach it to this same report after the first email is sent out. You’ll need to remember to set it back to FALSE after the document(s) do get updated.

AND(
     Count(INTERSECT( LIST("Red", "Yellow", "Black"), 
     [Related Products][Allergen Statements UTD]+
     [Related Products][GRAS Statement UTD]+
     [Related Products][Organic Certificate UTD]+
     [Related Products][Gluten Free Certificate UTD]+
     [Related Products][NON GMO Statement UPD]+
     [Related Products][Kosher Certificate UTD]+
     [Related Products][Radiological Statement UTD]+
     LIST([Third Party Certificates UTD], [Proposition 65 UTD])
     ))>0,
     NOT([Request Sent])
  )

Alternatively, the more appropriate yet more complicated way, do the Yes/No column in the child Products table. Alter your parent Supplier related columns to only grab related items that are NOT([Request Sent]). This would require using actions in the parent to set the child’s [Request Sent] during the workflow/report. But, this would actually keep track of whether or not there was a request for each product, where as the top solution works per supplier. I can’t write out a full how-to on all of this though.

Trust me, I know the difficulties in trying to get the data structure right for what you want. I’ve scraped the same personal project like 4 times. Finished it so I had something working. And then started a revamp. All trying to chase the most optimal structure and because it was impossible to continue to add features to the structure I had. Plus I’m trying to rebuild it so that if I deleted all my data I manually constructed in the spreadsheet, and give the app to someone else, they could quickly and easily recreate that same data or their own.

So to be 100% brutally honest with you, when you ask if this is the best way, I actually want to say no, because the best way would probably be a complete restructure of your data. I don’t know how much time you’ve sunk into this. But I would highly recommend moving to a 3 table (minimum) setup: Supplier, Products, Certificates. Supplier owns Products, and both can have Certificates.

Your absolutely right,

So I’ve Added all the below to my Products table, Should of been this way in the first place so I can see on a per product basis when a document was last requested.
I had in mind exactly what you were saying. so when a document is updated I would need to Clear the LR Date Columns Below and when the report fires I was have a bunch of workflows or reports that would update the LR to Today(), but Im not there yet :).

So the below would need to be factored in to each document.

Supplier Table
[LR Third Party Certificate]<Today() + 14
[LR Proposition 65]<Today() + 14

Products Table Date columns!
[Related Products][LR Product Specifications]<Today() + 14
[Related Products][LR Allergen Statement]<Today() + 14
[Related Products][GRAS Statements]<Today() + 14
[Related Products][LR Organic Certificate]<Today() + 14
[Related Products][LR Gluten Free Statement]<Today() + 14
[Related Products][LR NON GMO Statement]<Today() + 14
[Related Products][LR Kosher Statement]<Today() + 14
[Related Products][LR Radiological Statement]<Today() + 14

Ok. So Ive changed everything and now here is this is what I have, I have no issue checking the supplier documents, I check if they are in need of documents and a request hasnt been sent out already within the past 2 weeks. This formula works, Its the Last Section where I need to check the 8 Product Documents.

Or(and(Count(INTERSECT( LIST("Red", "Yellow", "Black"), 
  LIST([Third Party Certificates UTD])))>0,[LR Third Party Certificate]<Today() + 14),

and(Count(INTERSECT( LIST("Red", "Yellow", "Black"), 
  LIST([Proposition 65 UTD])))>0,[LR Proposition 65]<Today() + 14),

and(Count(INTERSECT( LIST("Red", "Yellow", "Black"), 
  [Related Products][Product Specifications UTD]))>0,[Related Products][LR Product Specifications]<Today() + 14))

So Its the Last Clause were I start to check the Product Documents.

and(Count(INTERSECT( LIST(“Red”, “Yellow”, “Black”), [Related Products][Product Specifications UTD]))>0,[Related Products][LR Product Specifications]<Today() + 14))

I cant compare list with Date…, Also with this entire intersect idea, How Do I know I am intersecting the correct Last Request document Date for a Product for the Correct Certificate expiry, because intercept is check each and every product in one big Swoop…

So this above, and what I was thinking may not even work with the intercept.

Also @Bahbus I know I should of made it more clear from the start. I’m sorry for that. I’ve learned a ton already. The above has humbled me. Appsheet is insane. I know you’ve put a ton of brain power into the intercepts and all, I’m just not sure how I would do this. I’m not one to ask something where I kinda already know the solution to as I have no idea…

I know this

1. I need to check Supplier documents and Last requested Dates for each Document.
  2. Supplier document needs to be expired or in need of attention as well as the Last Requested Date needs to be Longer than 2 weeks ago. I think I have that in the formula above.

The Kicker
3. Each document of each related product needs to be checked for the same thing above and the requested date needs to be longer than 2 weeks Ago. But I need to compare each Document for the Color as well as the Last Requested Date (LR) but this must match up. Intersect checks a list of items, Not sure how I would make sure Im checking to make sure Im comparing the Last Requested Date of the same Documentation, as these are also in list format .

Bahbus

This part is the problem for the last error you mention. It’s not related to the intersects.
[Related Products][LR Product Specifications] is a LIST of something.
Today() + 14 is ONE date in the future.

This is precisely why I mentioned to revamp to 3 tables. If you had a Certificates table with say columns:
[Certificate ID],
[Certificate Type] (a dropdown for whether its a supplier or product cert),
[Certificate Name] (a dropdown with “Product Specifications”, “Allergen Statements”, “GRAS Statement”, etc),
[Certificate] to hold the path to the uploaded document.
[Supplier ID] for if its a supplier certificate, [Product ID] for if its a product certificate,
[Status Color],
[Date Uploaded] a ChangeDate column that watches for the a change to the [Certificate] column.
[Expiration Date] would be [Date Uploaded]+whatever amount of time as determined by [Certificate Name] or a static number if they all expire after the same amount of time,
[Update Request Sent] a Yes/No to know if this particular document has been requested already,

I can’t think of any of Certificate columns at the moment. But if you were to redo into the 3 table setup, as you can see from above, each Certificate becomes infinitely easier to maintain and manage.

Is it possible to do with the layout I have?

I say this as the App has probably been used for about 4-5 months already and Its completely Full of Data, documents etc, and the annual BRC audit is coming up in November.

My Layout is as Follows

Supplier Table
Supplier Email Table - Child of supplier
Supplier Products Table - Child of supplier
Proposition 65 Table - Child of Supplier
Third Party Certificates - Child of supplier

Products Table - Child of supplier
Product Specification Table - Child of Products
Allergen Statements Table - Child of Products
Gras Statements Table - Child of Products
NON GMO Table - Child of Products
Radiology Table - Child of Products
Gluten Free Table - Child of Products
Organic Table - Child of Products
Kosher Table - Child of Products

Lot Number Table - Child of Products
COA Table - child of Lot Numbers

Is it possible to make this work with what you are saying but than I would just need to do it 8 times?

Each of my Documentation Tables also have a Column [Currant]. If a new certificate is put in under organic for a product, the user sets the new one as currant and the old one as not currant so all my formulas ignore these old ones when looking but all documentation must be kept in the system.

Lets Say I had only 1 certificate type and it was a child of products. I’m ok with making a massive formula to make this work long as I get a start ill be hooked

I believe so, but the logic to make it work might be slow and muddy.

Maybe keep this kicking through the audit, and then work on moving data to a new format that will be easier to maintain in the future?

I’m ok with slow and muddy for now. Its just a report that will try to fire on a daily basis.

Could someone Help me figure out how to get this expression written? or get me in the correct direct?

Willing to Pay a price. $$$$$$$$$$ PM Me.

You need to completely and clearly articulate the problem as it stands now. Don’t speculate on what might be needed. Don’t bother explaining what hasn’t worked. Don’t refer to the previous posts. What do you need done? How is your data structured?

Thanks Steve, That would be good

Im looking for some help resolving an expression Problem.

First my Structure.

Relevant Tables & Relationships

Supplier Table - Parent
Products Table - Child of supplier

Supplier Table Relevant Columns

id (Key)

Related Products (Virtual)

LR Third Party Certificate (Date)
LR Proposition 65 (Date)

Third Party Certificates UTD (Color)
Proposition 65 UTD (Color)

Products Table Relevant Columns

id (Key)

LR Product Specifications (Date)
LR Allergen Statement (Date)
LR GRAS Statements (Date)
LR Organic Certificate (Date)
LR Gluten Free Statement (Date)
LR NON GMO Statement(Date)
LR Kosher Statement (Date)
LR Radiological Statement(Date)

Product Specifications UTD (Color)
Allergen Statements UTD (Color)
GRAS Statement UTD (Color)
Organic Certificate UTD (Color)
Gluten Free Certificate UTD (Color)
NON GMO Statement UPD (Color)
Kosher Certificate UTD (Color)
Radiological Statement UTD (Color)

Date and Color Column (Type) Details

Date columns

Date Columns contain the Date a report was last triggered for this particular item.
Date Columns may be Blank, if so a report has never been requested

Color Columns

Color Columns contain 1 of the following Colors

Blue (Document not Necessary)
Green (Document Up To Date)
Yellow (Document Expiring within the next 14 Days
Red (Document Expired)
Black (No Document)

Now the Expression Problem Part 1.

Summary

Every Day I want to trigger a Report to fire for every row of the Supplier table.

I would want it to fire if ANY of the following conditions is true.
(Note if Date is Blank it is longer than 2 weeks ago)

1. [Third Party Certificates UTD] is either Red, Yellow or black and [LR Third Party Certificate] is longer than 2 weeks ago.

2. [Proposition 65 UTD] is either Red, Yellow or black and [LR Proposition 65] is longer than 2 weeks ago.

3. If any of the following is True for any Product Related to the Supplier.

A). [Product Specifications UTD] is either Red, Yellow or black and [LR Product Specifications] is longer than 2 weeks ago.

B). [Allergen Statements UTD] is either Red, Yellow or black and [LR Allergen Statement] is longer than 2 weeks ago.

C). [GRAS Statement UTD] is either Red, Yellow or black and [LR GRAS Statements] is longer than 2 weeks ago.

D). [Organic Certificate UTD] is either Red, Yellow or black and [LR Organic Certificate] is longer than 2 weeks ago.

E). [Gluten Free Certificate UTD] is either Red, Yellow or black and [LR Gluten Free Statement] is longer than 2 weeks ago.

F). [NON GMO Statement UPD] is either Red, Yellow or black and [LR NON GMO Statement] is longer than 2 weeks ago.

G). [Kosher Certificate UTD] is either Red, Yellow or black and [LR Kosher Statement] is longer than 2 weeks ago.

H). [Radiological Statement UTD] is either Red, Yellow or black and [LR Radiological Statement] is longer than 2 weeks ago.

Expression Problem Part 2

May be able to get from Part 1.

Summary

If a Report was Triggered due to a Product or Supplier Issue, The Last Requested Date for the document must be set in the Products/Suppliers Table under the Correlating (Last Requested Document Type (Date)). (If 2 documents Triggered Report, both LR Dates need to be set. )

[LR Product Specifications] = Today() If report was triggered due to this
[LR Allergen Statement] = Today() If report was triggered due to this.

For This I’m thinking I will need to have an action tied to the report that Fires Multiple Actions. 10 in total, 1 for each possible reason. Each action will set the Date of the Last Requested column for the correlating document. The Action Will only be available for rows that meet the same criteria that caused the report to fire in the first place.

I’m thinking I should be able to get part 2 solution from Part 1 solution.

Thanks for you time,

Meaning you want one report per supplier that matches the condition? Or that you want one report that includes only those suppliers that match? Or that you want a report that includes all suppliers if at least one supplier matches?

It would be one report per Supplier. My Report Will be sending an email to the specified supplier requesting the documentation that needs attention for each product. My Template will take care of that

Problem 1:

Condition expression:

OR(
  AND(
    OR(
    )
  ),
  AND(
    OR(
    )
  ),
  OR(
    ISNOTBLANK(
      SELECT(
        OR(
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          )
        )
      )
    )
  )
)

Note how closely the expression matches the problem statement you put together for me.

Let’s see if that works before working on problem 2. Lemme know.

Unbelievable. Yes I will start Citing Problems more in Detail going forward

@Steve This is a huge formula.

Im getting the following Error.

Condition OR(NOT(ISBLANK(SELECT([Related Products][_RowNumber],OR(AND(IN([Product Specifications UTD],LIST(“Red”,“Yellow”,“Black”)), OR(ISBLANK([LR Product Specifications]), ([LR Product Specifications] <= (TODAY()-14)))), AND(IN([Allergen Statements UTD],LIST(“Red”,“Yellow”,“Black”)), OR(ISBLANK([LR Allergen Statement]), ([LR Allergen Statement] <= (TODAY()-14)))), AND(IN([GRAS Statement UTD],LIST(“Red”,“Yellow”,“Black”)), OR(ISBLANK([LR GRAS Statements]), ([LR GRAS Statements] <= (TODAY()-14)))), AND(IN([Organic Certificate UTD],LIST(“Red”,“Yellow”,“Black”)), OR(ISBLANK([LR Organic Certificate]), ([LR Organic Certificate] <= (TODAY()-14)))), AND(IN([Gluten Free Certificate UTD],LIST(“Red”,“Yellow”,“Black”)), OR(ISBLANK([LR Gluten Free Statement]), ([LR Gluten Free Statement] <= (TODAY()-14)))), AND(IN([NON GMO Statement UPD],LIST(“Red”,“Yellow”,“Black”)), OR(ISBLANK([LR NON GMO Statement]), ([LR NON GMO Statement] <= (TODAY()-14)))), AND(IN([Kosher Certificate UTD],LIST(“Red”,“Yellow”,“Black”)), OR(ISBLANK([LR Kosher Statement]), ([LR Kosher Statement] <= (TODAY()-14)))), AND(IN([Radiological Statement UTD],LIST(“Red”,“Yellow”,“Black”)), OR(ISBLANK([LR Radiological Statement]), ([LR Radiological Statement] <= (TODAY()-14))))))))) has an invalid structure: at least 2 subexpression(s) required

Thanks Steve

Thank you for this outstanding problem description! Exactly what I was hoping for!

Suggestion forthcoming.

So I’ve Removed an Or() Expression to make the expression Valid.

Will the expression still perform as intended?

See below, Going to do test now

OR(
  AND(
    OR(
    )
  ),
  AND(
    OR(
    )
  ),

ISNOTBLANK(
      SELECT(
        OR(
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          ),
          AND(
            OR(
            )
          )
        )
      )
    )
)

@Steve

I’ve Just Testing it with different Product Certificates, Expired, not expired, expired but already requested within the past 2 weeks etc,

Everything Seems to be working perfectly…

I can honestly say I don’t think I would of been able to figure this out on my own…
Humbling.

Great Appsheet support

Don’t sell yourself short. They key was the well-structured problem description you provided. Just about every part of the final expression maps directly to the exact text of the description. The only part I’d consider “advanced” is the use of ISNOTBLANK(SELECT([Related Products][_ROWNUMBER], ...)).

Yep, my oversight. Sorry!

Both steps to the problem are Fully solved and the entire system is officially Functioning.

Thanks to @Steve and @Bahbus for all the help

Talk soon

Top Labels in this Space