Expression to break this value up into items?

Is there a way to break this up into items? I have a table that values get entered. The user is basically entering each item on one line (cell). I am asking can i break these up? So… if you look at the example, each new item begins after the comma “,”. Can i have an expression that looks at everything after a comma “,” as a new item?

(1) [000000325] 2013 16’ LOWBOY TRAILER - VIN # 17XFH1627D1035912 - PLATE # 270758H,(1) [000050515] 4,000 PSI HOT WATER PRESSURE WASHER SKID ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER MISSING

0 13 668
13 REPLIES 13

You might check out SPLIT()

will do.

Thanks

i have a question. Can the First section of Split (some text, Delimiter) be the column?

Like this?
<<SPLIT(“[Item_List]”, “,”)>>

SPLIT([Item_List],“,”) would be enough.

If this is on my template - using for reporting - do i need the <<>>?

Correct

ok. Thanks let me try this…

Ok. It did not separate them into separated rows:

I need that paragraph i circled separated into rows based on that comma “,”

I am trying to basically itemize this. So the paragraph i circled should separate each item out and show them individually (by a row). I will also need that “Qty” beside the paragraph i circled showing the quantity based on the paragraph items:

(2) 10 K Hydro… - i would need the Qty to show - “2”

I have added to the expression which is working better - but i need this to NOT force me to decide how many items to index - because i will never know how many the user will enter. I want to start a “Start” expression - but i didnt get it right - gave me errors…

I used this for the “Description” column:<<Index(SPLIT([Item_List],“,”),1)>>

I used this for the “qty” column: <<LEFT(Index(SPLIT([Item_List],“,”),1), 3)>>

Here is the raw data table (snipped picture):

In this picture, i will also need to figure out how to get those items in [ ] to show up in my template under “Item”…

SPLIT() turns a text string into a list. However, if you tell app to just print the list, it basically just concatenates the values of the list back together.

A Start expression (I think, but not sure) needs to be Key values to work. It would be way easier, if those line items were instead stored in a child table with their own unique IDs so that you could easily use the Start expression. Otherwise, I think with your data the way it is, you’re stuck hardcoding the template the way you already started.

yeah unfortunately - the way the software works now that my company uses to create a dispatch ticket - you see the picture above - the items are ALL listed in that “Item_List” cell…

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Try:

SUBSTITUTE([Item_List], ",", "
")

Note that the expression itself is two lines. That’s critical!

ok. Thanks - let me try this…

Ooo, smart idea. I’ve used similar things in the past. Might work in this case.

Top Labels in this Space