FastTable view

Is there an article or explanation about what fastTable is, why I’m going to it, and how to avoid it?

0 8 1,414
  • UX
8 REPLIES 8

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

I’m unaware of any article that explains FastTable.

I believe FastTable is simply a view the app generates on the fly to display rows that don’t otherwise have a table view. The way to avoid it is to either avoid ever displaying a list of rows for which you have no table view, or ensure every table and slice has a table view.

FastTable is a security risk, in my opinion.

I generally choose to create a ref type Table view for any table that I explicitly won’t be showing to the user and set either Show_if to FALSE or Security Filter to FALSE depending on the app’s account requirements.

Ya, it doesn’t seem to be an amazing solution. Plus it re-directed me out of the fastTable a few seconds later anyway.

I’ve found for me it’s usually due to me having for example a table view based on a slice. It’s important to explicitly make a detail view based on that slice as well so that that detail view is accessed when you select a row in the table view. In this case the detail view is automatically generated as a fasttable. So just create a view for the data and viewtype your getting as a fasttable.

So if I understand this correctly -- in the absence of a defined Detailed View for a table or table-slice, the system will use the system-generated fastTable view instead. 

When I asked Tech Support they said ask this community.

How does one hide or redirect the user in lieu of displaying a fastTable when the user clicks on a dynamic graphic (such as a donut graphic)?  I can find the system generated views where the fastTable is defined, and there are two fields that would be ideal for both REDIRECT and to edit the SELECTION criterion, but neither field from a system generated view can be edited. 

I like the graphic, but the risk of exposing data isn't worth it. 

Any thoughts on how to program around this issue?

Here's what works:

1. Create a Behavior > Action -- to perform the action desired - we called our action Show Chart and inserted the applicable action formula.

2. Next, create a TABLE VIEW for the table or table-slice you desire, adding the columns you need to display. In our case we only needed the _ComputedName (First & Last Name) column to be shown.

Note:
     In the absence of a defined table view, the system is forced to use the system's fastTable view for the associated table or table-slice.

3. On the same TABLE VIEW you created in Step-2, set the Behavior | Action to the action you created in Step-1, in our case (Show Chart). 

RESULT

Now when the user clicks a graphic section, the appropriate list is shown. Clicking any name on that list returns the user to the chart view. 

ADVANCED OPTION

With USERROLE() criteria you can give unique experiences to a user type:

• Edit for admins
  • Chart for everyone else

Hi,

I'm trying to prevent the fasttable to show up when a chart is clicked. I created another table view, and this table is now the one being opened once I click a graph on a chart.

Now, I want to control access to this table view using the Show_If but doesn't seem to work. The table always shows up even when the user rights I created suppose to prevent them from opening.

I used the same Show_If statement on another Menu View and it works all right. The specific Menu View won't show up if one is not the Admin or Manager and only a Staff Personnel.

Any thoughts on where I possibly made a mistake? Thanks

Top Labels in this Space