Feature: Capture Signatures

Need to capture signatures in your app? Receiving an error? Give the following a try:

What is signature capturing?
Signature capturing gives you the ability to collect a userโ€™s hand-drawn signature on your device while adding them to your database. This capability can be activated simply by naming one of your spreadsheet columns โ€œsignatureโ€

Where does signature capturing live?
Signature capturing is a functionality of the forms view (a UX feature) but itโ€™s performance is influenced by your data structure. Weโ€™ll be primarily focused on the data portion of signature capturing. You can learn more about the form view (UX feature) by reviewing this post.

1. To find a signature column, open your app editor by selecting the app youโ€™d like to work on.
  2. The navigation bar on the left side displays a tab titled โ€œDataโ€. Click this tab.
  3. Once youโ€™re in the Data tab youโ€™ll find a navigation bar along the top of your editor. The second tab is the โ€œColumnsโ€ section. Click this tab.
  4. Once youโ€™ve found the โ€œColumnsโ€ section, youโ€™ll find a list of โ€œtablesโ€ (a single spreadsheet from your datasource) which contain your data.
  5. Click on the table youโ€™d like to contain the signature field.
  6. From here you can navigate to the appropriate โ€œrowโ€ and change the rowโ€™s column โ€œtypeโ€ to โ€œsignature.โ€ Please see the below image for an example.

Important notes

• To see signature views in action, hereโ€™s a sample app to review.
  • Signatures can be captured both online and offline, making them a great addition to any app for field work.

There are two ways to activate the capture signature in your app:

1. Insert a column in your spreadsheet and include the word โ€œSignatureโ€ in the column header. AppSheet will automatically detect this new column as a Signature Type. If you add this column after youโ€™ve linked your data to your app source, you will need to perform the action of โ€œregenerating your columns.โ€ You can learn more about regenerating here
  2. Name the column anything you like and change the Column Type to Signature manually in the Data > Columns tab in the editor.

Try adding this feature to your app now and let us know how capturing signatures works for you.

Happy app building!

3 5 2,994
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

What if I want to take the captured signature and send it to a Excel Template to send to a customer as a report?

@Ryan_Sonntag1
You can create a PDF report and place that image in that report. Why do you need an Excel Template?

Im using a specific Spreadsheet for inspections. It is our paper copy and I would like to have the customer recieve this form without having to make any changes or recreate it in Docs. It has the letterhead and legal information on it. I know you can cature the signature and use the << >> in the docs to show the signature but I was hoping to do it in a excel sheet to

I believe thatโ€™s not possible other than docs.

Hi @Ryan_Sonntag1 There is one solution by using Zapier.

Top Labels in this Space