Feature: Changing the language in your app (localization)

Feature: Changing the language in your app (localization)

If your team could benefit from incorporating different languages into your applications, AppSheet makes this addition easy and flexible depending on your needs. Please note that at this time language changes will affect your application only and not your AppSheet editor.

First, a bit of how language translation takes place. We rely on what’s called localization, or locale, to translate your data. For those unfamiliar with localization, it is the adaptation of a product to meet the needs of a particular language or place. This can include a communicated language, numerical display, date, times and more. There are two different approaches to managing how language is portrayed in your apps. We’ll review both below.

For those that work with an audience that uses a single, non-english language, you can change your application’s buttons and navigation by working with our “Localize” feature in the UX portion of your editor. To find this, open your app’s editor, click on “UX” tab on the left. This will open up your UX navigation menu, “localize” is the fifth tab. From here you can type in the appropriate terms in the language of your choosing.

If you are in need of an app that can address the needs of multiple languages, you’ll want to dive a bit deeper into expressions and take advantage of USERLOCALE() This is a more advanced feature set and may take a bit of practice to learn. If you find this to be challenging, please don’t hesitate to respond to this thread with a question or post your own question in the community for help.

Want to see localization in action? Here’s a sample app in Spanish to demonstrate this feature. You can also visit our portfolio portal to view other apps in a variety of languages.

3 Likes

Useful post! I’m a bit concerned, however, about the use of USERLOCALE(). As an American who lives in Japan, I find it quite irritating when airlines etc. force me to read Japanese versions of their web pages merely because I happen to be located in Japan. Using USERLOCALE() to determine the display language might lead to similar problems. However, I think their may be another way to handle this:

Since the Localize feature allows expressions, it should be possible for the user to type his or own preferences (including display language) into the app and then for Localize to chose the proper display language based on that user designation.

I did it like that:

• In the UserSettings I have a column [Language]
  • This is an ENUM with “English” and “Deutsch”
  • I set an initial value =IF(CONTAINS(USERLOCALE() , "en") , "English" , "Deutsch")
  • Result: The App is initially set to the USERLOCALE() but the user can change this
2 Likes

TEXT() has been improved. It’s now possible to get English month and day names from dates using it:

However, this doesn’t seem to work with other languages.

This page says that AppSheet will read the locale from the Google sheet but the weekdays still come out in English when I test it:

DDDD long name of the day of the week (Wednesday)

Am I misunderstanding something or do the new TEXT() functions only work in English?

I’m prompted to post here but the following discussion

I suspect that is the case.

1 Like