Firebase data connection

Now that appsheet is part of Google, the next big feature we could have accross apps is live dynamic databases like Firestore.
Is it possible?
How much time could it take?

Status Under Review
48 26 6,001
26 Comments
Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

I wish to connect to Firebase/Firestore, as data source. But it sounds a bit tricky. Firebase is so called No-SQL, the appsheet is pretty much RDB oriented platform, so I assume they need to place some middleware like ETL?
Will see, anyway I vote.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

@JCadence

FYG,

Chad_Smykay

We have a plan to use Firebase as well. This would be great support to connect into a DB and query for our app needs.

pravse
Staff

Yes, we have Firebase data connectivity on our roadmap in 2021. I think this is likely to be H2 of 2021 given that it isn’t at the top of the stack right now. However, deeper integration with Firebase services in general (including identify services for example) is an investment we are making.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Awesome!

Aditya_Iyer
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Will be great to get a further update on when in H2 approximately (we are already in May). Asking, as I have an existing project which is utilising firebase and I want to also integrate appsheet with firebase functionality to this existing application vs. having to invest in a work around for a few months in order to connect with Appsheet / Google Sheets and then again switch to this approach once implemented.

mustafa1
Silver 1
Silver 1

We’re already in H2 2021 and looking forward to this.
Any updates?

pravse
Staff

Well, technically still a few days left in H1 :]

Adding @Scott_Haaland who owns this feature.

Jonathon
Silver 5
Silver 5

@praveen what about firebase auth?

shaaland
Staff

Sorry for missing this and being so late to reply.

Firebase auth and Firestore have been pushed to 2022 due to some reprioritization for H2.

I would love to hear about your use cases with Firebase Auth and Firestore. Note that FireStore DB is a NoSQL type of db, so figuring out how to structure an “unstructured” table into a “structured” table in AppSheet is a big challenge. Do you have any thoughts on how this might work for your use case?

Also, I know that one of our customer engineers did some work to integrate AppSheet to FireStore using some Python code. If you are interested, I can try to find the details on how he did it. Also, if you could expose the data that you really need with FireStore as an API, you could use the Apigee data source in AppSheet.

Thanks,
Scott

Jonathon
Silver 5
Silver 5

I’m not interested in FireStore - mostly just a better authentication option. Currently, there are 3 options for building custom domain authentication workflows:

• OpenID
  • Okta
  • Cognito

It would be convenient to have something google-native to use here.

shaaland
Staff

Hi Jonathon,

Curious why Google Auth doesn’t work for you as a Google native solution?

Thanks,
Scott

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

I am with @Jonathon for this feature request.

When we deploy app to the multiple users who does not have cloud service accounts, we only have option to create the own auth, curenty using Amazon Cognito for instance.
What @Jonathon is claiming (me as well) is to get the Google native auth service such as firebase auth to achieve the same rather than using external (non-google) service.

@Takuya_Miyai

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Those are 4 available option to develop the custom / advanced auth.(None of them are Googe native.)

We just simply wish to add Firebase Auth, which is simple to set up.

Advanced Auth Providers
• Active Directory
• OpenID Connect
• Okta
• AWS Cognito

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

Don’t forget
Google Cloud Identity