For an extensive photo gallery app it would b...

For an extensive photo gallery app it would be nice if photos could be accessible offline. Similar to what GDrive, Dropbox etc are doing these days. Is this possible?

0 5 354
5 REPLIES 5

Harry2

@Alex_Lorenz Hi Alex, most cloud services that offer offline capabilities generally require the end user to store some of the data on their local device for offline use. For instance,

GDrive, OneDrive, and Dropbox all require that there is enough storage space in the device before offline mode can be used. As a result, this usually works best on PCs where storage space is not an issue.

However, for mobile devices, storage space can be limited, which means that storing large number of image files from a gallery for offline use might quickly deplete the deviceโ€™s storage. Nevertheless, if more users request this feature, we will definitely take it into consideration.

Understood and thanks. I wonder if a work-around is possible. Since we are storing our photos on Google Drive, we can have Google Drive store them locally for us (โ€œMake available offlineโ€). So, they would have to be somewhere on the device locally. Would there be a way to access them from Appsheet that way?

Harry2

@Alex_Lorenz To clarify, you can still open and view images in your app offline if you enable offline mode for your app. However, the number of images that can be stored offline will be limited. Also, Iโ€™m afraid we do not support the offline GDrive application right now.

Hello and thank you for the clarification. In my experience, the offline access works pretty well for data. However, most of the time images do not show up. Looks like in this screenshot. Am I missing anything?

Harry2

@Alex_Lorenz Have you enabled offline caching in your app? In the editor, you can go to Behavior > Offline/Sync, and turn on the โ€œStore content for offline useโ€ setting.

Top Labels in this Space