For Ref columns, Allow Grouping sort order to be based on a non-visual field - i.e. not by Label

There are many use cases where in a Grouped view, the developer wants to control the order in which the Groups are shown and not have it based on a ascending/descending sort of the displayed value.

Currently, developers overcome this deficiency by changing the display value so that it includes characters that force the sort. e.g. “1-Group G”, “2-Group Z”, “3-Group A”.

For Ref columns, a very practical approach would be to allow the specification of the column used for sorting just like we currently do for specifying the Label - maybe a “Sorting” property. The sorting/grouping functions would use the specified “Sorting” column to order the rows but then use the “Label” column as the displayed value.

The same concept can be applied to Enum’s as well.

Status Open
18 5 489
5 Comments
Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

What we really need is a dynamic sort order… that only accepts a strange orderby argument…

Skip2MiLu
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

I ran a search for the same thing and found many posts of users asking for the same thing, but not sure if they are upvoting.

A good feature. Hopefully it get considered

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

KingsGuava
Silver 1
Silver 1

I think this feature would also solve this problem: https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/UX-View-do-not-show-blanks/m-p/289243

Currently, if all of the rows in the table have the same value and the column is listed in the Group By of the view, users will still have to navigate past the redundant Group By column.

KingsGuava_4-1650042135348.png

KingsGuava_0-1650042014012.png

KingsGuava_1-1650042041956.png

KingsGuava_2-1650042057862.png

KingsGuava_3-1650042086073.png

This becomes a bigger problem when an AppSheet developer uses a combination of User Settings and Security Filters to limit the context of data within the app. Depending on the security filter expression and the current user setting, a group by column may be beneficial or redundant.

OracleNick
Bronze 3
Bronze 3

Crazy how it's been just under 4 years and this isn't a feature yet, Group By and Sort By should work in tandem by default