Force sync does not work after entering invalid data

HCF

I keep getting this error after accidentally inputting an invalid data in an Enum type Duration:
3X_7_5_755a5b45f36543d3cc7714e77067e4c92565e57e.png

First I tried to correct the issue, then I deleted the record, but the sync keeps complaining that the values is an incorrect type.
Any help is highly appreciated.

2 9 392
9 REPLIES 9

On your enum type field, check the box for โ€œAllow other valuesโ€

@tsuji_koichi - thatโ€™s already so. The error occurs because the feild type is Duration and the type entered is String.

Yes, you can not enter any different type of data rather than column data type.

@tsuji_koichi - yes thatโ€™s the hard experience. The unfortunate issue is that the entire app hangs depending on the sync of data that canโ€™t be synced and that subsequent changes are hindered from sync. Finally the user must restart to enter or change records.

If you have a error then subsequence change data is not going to happen on appsheet, that is BY DESIGN.
To solve, only available remedy for user is to let the app to be resetโ€ฆ

For us as app creator, just make sure that no error for data entry to happen before we deploy the app to the users.

I think this is an AppSheet DEISIGN flaw (IMHO) and can lead to a lot of lost data.

Sync should be more robust and ignore errors and carry on with valid rows, leaving the invalid row data till the end (then you can reset and only lose 1 record).

Doing so could produce data inconsistency and hurt data integrity. Suppose the skipped update was a row addition and subsequent updates referenced that row?

Your assertions may apply in your case, but not all.

@Steve Good point, but the loss of user data is a critical issue.

Donโ€™t know the answer, perhaps flag up to the user immediately when sync fails, to stop the user from adding more data unkowingly?

Offline use of Appsheet is a none starter with the way SYNC works.

A user could be entereing data for days OFFLINE and would lose all that data because of one record blocking the sync, whne they get an internet conection and try to sync!

To me this is a fundametal issueโ€ฆ I donโ€™t see why no one else understands the implications for end users.

One thing any program should do is NEVER loose data.

Top Labels in this Space