Form no working to add line in Smartsheet anymore

Hi,

The problem started when we added the new COLUMN FORMULA option within Smartsheet.

If I deactivate this function it works. On the other hand, this function is important for me to keep data clean so I wish to keep it within Smartsheet since people also input lines within Smartsheet not just with AppSheet. The error I get is 1302. Updating a cell in a column formula is not supported.

Any idea on how to work around this?

Thanks a lot for your support!

Mathieu

0 5 440
  • UX
5 REPLIES 5

Steve
Participant V

Please contact support@appsheet.com for help with this.

veneer
Participant I

Hi Mathieu,

Did you get a solution for this? I have the same requirement. We have Smartsheet only users and the column formula's are very important for these users. The AppSheet app does not need to even know about these fields. I know you can update/insert a row via the API as long as you don't include these fields. It would be ideal if AppSheet can skip the column formula fields in the creating new rows and edits. 

I don't have any experience with Smartsheet, so I can't speak to it specifically. I know that with Google Sheets, AppSheet works with entire rows at a time: when a column value is updated in the app, the column's entire row is written back to the spreadsheet, rather than just writing the updated cell. My impression is that this whole-row approach is how AppSheet works, and applies to Smartsheet, too. I'm not aware of any plans to change that behavior.

Thanks, that makes sense. That's not ideal for using a hybrid system like I was planning on. 

Hopefully in the future they will change it so that it excludes fields that are formula based on the updates and inserts. 

If you change the column in smartsheet to a cell formula, when adding the new row it picks up the formulas from the previous row.
This makes it possible to operate in both environments and to leave some of the management to the users. If a formula should be modified, the formula must be applied to the entire column by configuring it as a column formula and then as a cell formula.

Top Labels in this Space