Form scanning / Scanning multiple barcodes codes sequentially

Hi,

We use the Appsheet barcode scan feature to rapidly digitize multiple forms we get on incoming orders
To fill out the form in Appsheet we need to scan 4 barcodes, the scanning process is incredibly quick (<0.2 seconds from clicking the button to the field being filled in). Most time is spend clicking the barcode button in the form. We would like to suggest the following features to speed up filling out forms.

• Be able to start the form in barcode scan mode
  • Scan multiple barcodes sequentially / scan all columns that are labeled with scannable in one go.
    • You could define an order and display what the next field you are going to scan is or you could have valid_if constraints on all your fields and only scan the code if it matches the valid_if constraint of a column and just show the remaining fields that need to be scanned
  • Automatically close the scanner once everything is scanned and progress to the next form (currently our forms which use barcode scanning don’t auto save and open a new form even though that feature is enabled, this may be a bug?)

Additionally, if possible, it would great for our usecase if Micro QR code scanning was a possibility.

Let me know if there is anything we can do to provide additional help.

Status Open
7 7 2,530
7 Comments
Noah_Beach
Bronze 4
Bronze 4

I believe multi barcode scanning is an essential feature especially for inventory control. I want to be able to use my app for inventory control and scan barcodes one after the other without manually selecting a button each time.

Consider the following scenario:
A worker has a phone in his hand he can load the app on. He has 2 buttons. Add and Subtract. If he chooses Add he starts scanning and everything he scans gets added to current inventory. Similar with Subtract but removes from inventory.

This feature would allow for all sorts of opportunities for new apps whether its grocery stores, convenience stores, medical devices(my company), retail, etc.

Please consider working with the community to get this going. I believe it would open the door for a lot more usage down the road.

tony1

Thanks for the feature request. There are some existing ways to make repeat scanning faster. Here’s a sample app.

Fabio_Nabuco_Co

Hello Tony. It seems like the link to the sample is no longer working.

Is there another sample available ? I’m trying to develop an production/dispatch app, and having a way to scan multiple bar codes would be fantastic.
Regards;

Fábio.

tony1

Hi @Fabio_Nabuco_Correia , I’m not sure why the sample link isn’t working. Please try this: https://www.appsheet.com/Template/AppDef?appName=RepeatScan-71626&quickStart=False

Fabio_Nabuco_Co

Hey Tony;

First of all, thank you for your prompt anser.

Unfortunately the link isn’t working as well.

My sincere regards;

Fábio

tony1

Hi Fabio, sorry about that. Some of the sample apps are being reworked.

I can’t find a public equivalent of that original app, but the main feature it demonstrated was the ability to advance forms automatically. You can do that by enabling an option under UX > Options > Forms:

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager